Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Projects > New Restoration Project Started - 13046 - Riverside, CA

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
New Restoration Project Started - 13046 - Riverside, CA  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 09-17-2014 03:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
Screenplay

I have 1974 JH and still haven't decided how to tackle the rear bumper issue. If there is one area of the JH design-regardless of year-that needs new ideas it's in the area of bumpers. My project isn't as far along as yours so I haven'e been thinking about it great detail, but I do have some beliefs about design in general.

I don't think it's an area of the car you would want to draw attention to (or at least you don't want to interrupt the roll of the sheet metal), so it should be discreet. Any kind of fabricated cover should be as thin as possible and likely painted to match. But even then it can looked "tacked on." I think the cleanest, simplest route is rubber grommets. I've used them in the past on small holes (removed a trunk-mounted luggage rack once) and even up high they're not too conspicuous. Finding them in this particular shape could be a challenge but they're probably out there.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 09-18-2014 06:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
Randallclary@icloud.com

I will let you know what I finally come up with for the covers.

Last edited on 09-18-2014 04:00 pm by Randallclary@icloud.com

Posted: 09-18-2014 02:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

The bumper delete just looks unfinished to me. The chrome finishers don't extend to the bottom of the valance and the spare tire is exposed.

How about modifying the bumper brackets to pull the bumper closer to body and painting like the front?

Posted: 09-18-2014 02:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
Randallclary@icloud.com

I plan on having the rear bumper painted the same silver as the rest of the body. I have the option of reinstalling the rear bumper back on the car if my design idea does not look good.

I agree with the comment about the chrome strips and I am going to extend the strips to the bottom of the rear panel on each side so it would look complete.

Thanks for the comments. Will send photos and get some opinions.

Posted: 09-18-2014 04:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
Randallclary@icloud.com

Also regarding the spare showing, I don't plan on reinstalling the spare, I have AAA for that and I save 40 lbs of weight. I'll replace the weight with my golf clubs in the trunk.

Posted: 09-18-2014 05:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

I do like the "add lightness" aspect of removing the bumper and spare tire and hanger. With less weight in the rear, A lighter sway bar could be used.

I drove my car this summer without the spare and tool box. It definitely increased the over steer. I run the Addco rear sway bar and gas Koni shocks from an '83 Toyota Celica so it's pretty stiff.

Posted: 09-25-2014 12:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
Rick Willard

Great project Randall and thanks for posting the pictures to date! Have you seen the website featuring Ernie Vicencio's Rover V8 conversion? I only ask because one of the cool changes made to that particular car was the shortening the rear bumper brackets to get the bumper closer to the body of the car. It's a subtle change, but a good one. Of course...it's your car and your project. Have a great time with it and do whatever you choose. Thanks again for sharing the photos and progress!

Last edited on 09-25-2014 12:05 pm by Rick Willard

Posted: 09-25-2014 01:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
Randallclary@icloud.com

Thanks for the comments. Just got the car back from the shop a couple of days ago. I had the bumpers painted the same color as the car and they look great. I may even remount them. They look so much better than the black. I have one issue with the rubber protector strips and that is how do I either replace them or remount the old ones because I had to cut them off in order to remove. I may glue them back on. Does anyone know a source for new strips?

Last edited on 09-28-2014 12:33 am by Randallclary@icloud.com

Posted: 09-25-2014 02:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
Screenplay

I believe the rubber strips are in the Delta Motorsports catalog, listed as "finishers." I haven't seen these replacements in person but I have no reason to question their quality or appearance.

Posted: 09-26-2014 06:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
answerman

I talked to Delta about them last year, Mike told me that they look pretty much identical to stock but that they mount differently. If I remember right it is a two piece unit where the backing channel mounts to the bumper and then the rubber strip snaps into it somehow. I decided not to mess with it till I found a perfect front bumper, since I would be putting a new strip on a not so perfect bumper otherwise.

Posted: 09-26-2014 07:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
Randallclary@icloud.com

My bumpers are perfect except for the rubber strips. I will check with Mike at DMS and find our how much more money I can pour into the car. I will post a pic of the bumpers and strips as will as the stainless steel top ices. The rear is in good shape and the front needs a wee bit of tweaking to be good enough to put back on the car. Thanks for the source at Delta.

Last edited on 09-26-2014 07:13 am by Randallclary@icloud.com

Posted: 09-28-2014 12:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
Randallclary@icloud.com

I will attach some pics of the bumpers without the rubber and stainless trim tomorrow. Would appreciate comments. I will talk to Delta MS about the rubber trim.

Posted: 10-30-2014 09:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
kart54

I'll try and get a picture of mine when I have time but to me it looks like they always should have. The stainless on the trunk was kept the rest was removed and the holes filled. The edges of the fender were also slightly rounded to look better.
My car is a 75 but I took the bumper from a 74, painted it to match and then shortened the mounts and sucked it right up against the body with about 3/32 of an inch to spare. Looks much better in my opinion.
Kart54

Posted: 10-30-2014 09:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
34th Post
kart54

I should add, for the rubber around the stainless I got a piece of body trim from Pep Boys that is used to run down the center of the side of the car to prevent door dings. It was rubber with a chrome strip in the middle. Only a true Jensen Healey purest would know that that is not the way it came from the factory.

Kart54

Last edited on 10-30-2014 09:16 pm by kart54

Posted: 10-31-2014 08:50 am
  PM Quote Reply
35th Post
roland11a

Hi
I also thought about leaving the rear bumper of when rebuilding my JH. In the end I decided to refit it but modify the brackets to allow the bumper to fit close up to the body work.
I'm glad I did as a the bumper a tight fit to the body lookes great.

Posted: 10-31-2014 09:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
36th Post
Randallclary@icloud.com

Could you please share a photo of the car including a close up of the rear bumper.

Thanks

Posted: 10-31-2014 09:34 am
  PM Quote Reply
37th Post
Randallclary@icloud.com

I would really appreciate a photo of your car that includes the bumper. I will show my car again with the bumpers off and then back on including the front bumper. If I can put them back on tomorrow, I will take the photo and post.

Posted: 10-31-2014 06:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
38th Post
roland11a

Bumper moved closer in.

I was concidering moving it closer still, but that would have involved much more modifications to the brackets. I like it like this.

Last edited on 10-31-2014 09:12 pm by roland11a

Posted: 11-01-2014 03:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
39th Post
Randallclary@icloud.com

I like the way you did the bumper with it closer. Also noticed that you removed the side lights or was that standard for your car at the time of mfg. My rear bumper on 13046 is slightly wrinkled on the stainless top piece and I'm trying to find someone that can fix the damage. The bumper shell is perfect and painted silver, but the deck needs some work.

Last edited on 11-01-2014 03:05 pm by Randallclary@icloud.com

Posted: 11-01-2014 05:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
40th Post
roland11a

No the lack of side lights is correct for a british spec car. They were only for the American spec I belive?

Current time is 08:38 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page    
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Projects > New Restoration Project Started - 13046 - Riverside, CA Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems