Home 

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
chrisl

After a long layoff am finally getting my Mk1 Healey back on the road.

Woes this afternoon though; I ran it a short while, turned off, tried to restart but no go. Battery is new, fuel pump works.

I was checking the non-return valve on the brake booster immediately beforehand, the valve is not working well and the seal is brittle so will replace them. I did run the car for a short while with the hose disconnected; there was a bit of vapour coming from the rear carby when it conked out. The engine had been idling for about 10 minutes so was warm, but I wouldn't think there would be any cause/effect there.

While the engine seems to be turning over and makes the normal noises (but won't fire) I can see that it actually isn't turning over at all - the cam belt, pulleys etc stay unmoved.

Is it likely to be the starter motor?

Or something more horrible/ terminal and/or expensive?

subwoofer

Crikey! If the crank is turning and the cams don't, it WILL be expensive. Degree of expensiveness depends on engine speed when the cams stopped moving.

My guess is that the cam belt let go, or lost all its teeth at the crank pulley. If you are really lucky you only have 8 bent valves, if you are unlucky you are looking at a full rebuild.

NEVER START A 907 WITH AN OLD CAMBELT!

--
Joachim

Last edited on 08-30-2014 06:45 pm by subwoofer

chrisl

Far out

Cam belt is brand new; that said I suspect bent valves.

Watch this space. Sigh.

Brett Gibson JH5 20497

I think you need to find out if the starter is actually turning the engine over, hopefully it is just a starter issue.

subwoofer

If the starter gave in - but he did say it sounded normal on cranking - consider getting a brand new geared starter. I have one in the mail from britishstarters.com. I can't say if it's good or not, it hasn't arrived yet, but at 175$ it is not too expensive.

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems