Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Exterior Mirror Mounting  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 08-26-2014 06:25 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
answerman

Been a while since I asked one of my obsessive questions...

Since I've had Ms. Jenavieve, it's bothered me that the exterior mirrors don't match.  The drivers side (LHD) is what I believe to be the original mirror and mounting.  The passenger side mirror was, I assume, added by one of the POs and is similar but not identical (it has a black rubber welt all the way around the glass, the stem is different, and most importantly it doesn't have that angled mounting plinth under the stem).

I'm guessing that the JHs did not come standard with both mirrors, hence the mismatch.  I don't have a preference as to which mirror is better, but I have determined that the passenger side mirror just isn't right without that mounting plinth under it.  Without it, it sits at a very upright angle, and the mirror is partially blocked by the frame of the "vent" window.

How incredibly rare is that mounting plinth?  If I had another, I would just go ahead and use the existing mirror and be happy with it.  Were they used on any other cars, or were they exclusive to the JH?  Are they constructed from unobtanium?

On a side note, it's kinda nice to be able to worry about fiddly little details like this instead of worrying about why she won't run... it's been a very good summer for reliability!

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 08-26-2014 07:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
answerman

To be clear (after doing a bit of research) this shows what I'm after:

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/stainless-and-chrome-wing-or-door-mirror-pair

Though the original plinth on Ms. J is chrome, not black like in this picture.

Posted: 08-26-2014 11:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
jcdean

I bought a pair of what were labeled "Baby Tornado" mirrors and swapped them both out.

Posted: 08-26-2014 05:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
answerman

Yeah, I really don't want to go down that road if I can help it. I'm not militant about keeping her original, but I want to try to when possible.

Worst case scenario, if I can't get the match I want, is to just remove the passenger side mirror and weld the holes closed.

Posted: 08-27-2014 01:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

It's a standard English unit used on a number of differant cars, googling might bring it up, but I do have some info on it someplace, just not sure where.

Posted: 08-27-2014 05:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
answerman

Did some more searching and found that Brett was right, there seem to be several cars that use it. I ended up ordering the chrome kit (both mirrors and plinths) specced for a Midget, Sprite, and Mini:

http://www.victoriabritish.com/features/sm/smmi1.htm

Actually I'm pretty sure that this is the same mirror that is currently mounted on the passenger side, without the angled plinth. Really close to original except that there is a rubber gasket surrounding the glass, and the mounting stem is at the front of the base instead of in the center like the one on the drivers side. Assuming the plinths are correct, at least they'll match and be usable now.

Posted: 08-30-2014 07:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
answerman

New mirrors arrived today, and as I suspected are identical to the one mounted on the passenger door. Really really close to original. The plinths, if anything, are a bit larger and a bit more steeply angled than the original on the drivers door (and mount differently too... the original had two screws going through the mounting block for the mirror and then directly through into the car door, while the new ones have separate holes for the mounting block, so it's 4 screws instead of 2 for each plinth).

Tomorrow, the old ones come off and the new ones go on. I think they'll do nicely. If anyone's interested, I will try to get some detail pics of the differences between them, and before/after shots. Yes, I obsess about these little details.

Posted: 08-30-2014 09:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Frank Schwartz

Did you order the plinth kit when you ordered the mirrors???

Posted: 08-30-2014 11:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
answerman

Yes, I ordered the plinth kits as well. All mounted and ready to go.

The original left mirror, with the plinth.  I believe this to be the factory setup.

And the new left side mirror.  Notice that the plinth is slightly larger, and angled a bit more.  Also note the rubber welting around the glass, which was not present on the original mirror.

This was the mirror that was mounted on the right side when I got her.  Notice that there's no plinth, which makes for a basically unusable mirror.  The mirror appears to be the same as the new one I ordered, though.  Pay no attention to the 18 year old reflected in the mirror...

The new right side mirror, with plinth.

Finally they match, they are angled correctly, properly attached, and completely usable.

Last edited on 08-30-2014 11:25 pm by answerman

Posted: 08-31-2014 02:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

the rubber seal around the glass allows you to replace the glass, you can also take the glass out and adjust the tension on the assembly so you dont get alot of shake going down the road, not having the seal is something I have not seen before but cant say I was looking at mirrows to much..

Current time is 06:38 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Exterior Mirror Mounting Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems