New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Returning to the Jensen Healey Family  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 08-15-2014 10:53 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Rick Willard

Hello Everyone,

I'm not sure if many of you remember me or not. Back in 2005, I imported a RHD JH from England to the States. At the time, I shared the story with the good folks here in the JHPS and made plenty of new friends, thanks to this terrific organization.

Soon after acquiring this particular car, I put some bucks into it with some nice mechanical upgrades (including the 2.2 crank, suspension, brakes, etc), and unfortunately...long story...the car suffered a dreaded engine fire in 2007. At the time, I just didn't have the energy/time to save it, so I took the insurance settlement. However, because there were so many undamaged and new parts on it, my good friend and JHPS member Lash Russell took the car.

By the way, this particular JH I'm referring to was my 3rd. I owned and restored my first JH with my Dad in the early-mid 80's and kept it through most of college (somewhere in this period, the RHD idea took root). I owned my second JH in my mid-20's in California...another daily driver. After the engine fire of 2007, I actually owned a (cough, cough) Honda S2000 from 2008-2013 to satisfy my appetite for some sort of toy. But my affection for the JH has never really waned that much.

Since the fire, the car has lived a pretty good life, always in Lash's garage and covered well. Of course, Lash has salvaged many of the goodies of the car (as he should). But over the years, Lash and I have become good friends, and gotten together several times for golf, beer, JH stories, etc. So the car was certainly never completely out of sight or out of mind.

Long story short, I'm ready to chase the RHD JH idea again...this time to completion/perfection. I'm headed down to Lash's to reacquire the car this weekend. It's a shell, for sure, but thanks to Lash's support/generosity, we'll put a complete car together. This time around, I will not rush anything, I will work with the right experts, spare no expense, and eventually build the car I intended to when I acquired it 10 years ago. I know, I know...there are many easier ways to do this. But this particular car has a lot going for it and I want to share the restoration experience with my kids, just as my father did for me.

I will post pics and look forward to connecting more in the months ahead as work begins.

Cheers!

Rick Willard
Broomfield, CO

Last edited on 08-15-2014 12:04 pm by Rick Willard

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 08-15-2014 01:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Great! Looking forward to it!

Kurt

Posted: 09-26-2014 11:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Rick Willard

I had a change of heart. While I have a ton that I invested in 14011 way back when (mostly recovered through Hagerty after the 2007 engine fire), I decided it was just too much at this point in my life. Instead, I harvested some leftover parts, and am about to put it down for good. That's the sad news, I guess. I hate to see another JH be put down, but it's just too far gone.

The much better news is that I found a real good one to tinker with in the garage, share with my kids/wife, and otherwise...just enjoy for a while before I start doing anything big. The JH pictured here is #15771, and I just bought it in Minnesota on Tuesday and had it shipped here to Colorado. I was blown away to receive the car just a day after I dropped it off at the shipper in MN.

I'll probably "personalize" this one with a 2.2 conversion, a 5-speed, and a Right Hand Drive conversion in the next few years. But for now, this is a real solid original example with 45mm Dell's and a few other goodies. I don't love the bead blasted wheels, but they're growing on me. Hopefully, I have this one the rest of my years and get to pass it along to my kids.

Look forward to connecting with more fellow owners here on the board in the future.

Cheers!

Attachment: IMG_0646.jpg (Downloaded 104 times)

Posted: 10-01-2014 04:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Schorse

Congrats on the car, I love red cars. I also like the idea of a 2.2
How come you wan't an RHD? LHD makes overtaking so much easier...

Last edited on 10-01-2014 04:54 am by Schorse

Posted: 10-04-2014 01:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Rick Willard

Hi Schorse...the RHD thing is just a preference. I've had a few LHD JH's over the years - they're unique cars, as we'd all agree. But for the brief period I had my RHD 2.2 here in the States, it was just a great experience (fulfilling an idea that I had way back in the 80's). I didn't care about overtaking folks as I didn't tend to go racing on two lane roads very often anyway. And when I did, the 2.2 RHD didn't have any problem quickly passing other cars. Again, just a personal preference, and only a POSSIBLE option down the road. The red one pictured is a really good car. For right now, I'll just focus on drivetrain upgrades (5-speed conversion) and a few cosmetic items. Cheers! Rick

Current time is 07:49 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > VIN Database for Jensen Healey & Jensen GT > Returning to the Jensen Healey Family Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems