Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Ignition sprocket timing mark  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 08-10-2014 10:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
srq2002

I'm reinstalling the timing belt and concerned about the setting of the ignition pulley. Can anyone tell me if this diagram shows the mark correctly aligned? Or is the alignment mark unreliable?

Attachment: IgnitionSprocket.JPG (Downloaded 140 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 08-11-2014 12:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

The cam pulleys and crank need to be lined up, as for the dizzy you want the rotor pointing at the #1 spark plug lead in the cap, does'nt matter were the pulley mark is.

Brett

Posted: 08-11-2014 02:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Art DeKneef

Go here to see a diagram on how the cam wheels need to be aligned.
http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/ETechnical/Cambelts.html

I used this and guidance from Tim Engel and others here to set the timing on my project car.
Art

Posted: 08-12-2014 01:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Esprit2

srq2002 wrote:
I'm reinstalling the timing belt and concerned about the setting of the ignition pulley. Can anyone tell me if this diagram shows the mark correctly aligned? Or is the alignment mark unreliable?The alignment mark is reliable, it's just not as critical as it is on the cam pulleys. The cams need to be right, but the auxiliary pulley has some latitude.

There's a direct connection between the auxiliary pulley and the rotor in the distributor. The rotor can be positioned anywhere, and the distributor body can be rotated as required to achieve proper timing at that position. Functionally, the distributor doesn't care where the rotor (hence, the auxiliary pulley) is located; however, there are practical matters.

In certain positions, the spring clips that retain the distributor cap will interfere with the cylinder block and other bits such that they're difficult to snap or release.

Wires for electrical connections to the distributor may be too short to reach some positions.

If the distributor has a vacuum diaphragm on it, then the diaphragm will interfere with the oil filter in one direction, and the intake manifold in the other. The rotor needs to be positioned so that correct timing can be achieved with the diaphragm in that sweet spot between the filter and manifold.

You can ignore the pulley timing mark, and wing it as required to get ignition timing without any fit problems. Or you can take a couple of seconds to align the auxiliary pulley timing mark, and be pretty sure it will all work.

The cam timing marks and ignition timing marks on the pulley are different. The mark for cam timing will be next to an IN or EX mark, and the ignition mark is across the pulley from there. The ignition mark is supposed to be aligned with the imaginary centerline between the crankshaft and auxiliary shaft.

Install the timing belt, and randomly crank in a bunch of tension. Double check the alignment of all timing marks. Then set the static ignition timing prior to tensioning the belt for real. If there's a problem with timing the igniton that can be resolved by re-positioning the rotor (ie, moving the aux pulley on the belt), then it's better to discover that before wasting effort tensioning the belt for real. With the static ignition timing set, tension the belt and button up the job.

Posted: 08-21-2014 01:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
srq2002

Thank you, Esprit2. It's successfully back together. Amazing how much better in runs when the intake is not two cogs retarded, as the PO had it.

Current time is 08:48 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Ignition > Ignition sprocket timing mark Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems