Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Stripped out cam cover hole

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Stripped out cam cover hole  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 08-02-2014 03:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
srq2002

Was just cleaning out the bolt holes prior to fitting the JHPS cam cover gaskets, and I find the the bottom center hole for the exhaust cover is stripped out. Argh.

What's the best fix? Tap it out to the next size? Helicoil?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 08-02-2014 04:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
gmgiltd

I would suggest that you helicoil rather than use oversize studs and it maybe an idea to do them all when you are at it as some of the others could be damaged if not stripped. I believe the torque recommended for these was only 4lb which is very low and easily exceeded which often leads to splayed cam covers and oil leaks. I ended up buying a 0-20 Britool torque wrench - possibly ott but accurate for this kind of thing.
Gordon

Posted: 08-04-2014 03:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

I agree with you, Gordon. Once the cam cover has been over-torqued and splayed, most of them, it will never seal at 4lb torque.

I've had good luck with the JHPS gaskets installed dry after careful cleaning with acetone, and torqued by feel. probably 8 to 10lbs.

Kurt

Posted: 08-04-2014 03:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
srq2002

In fact a second one let go at about 4 ft-lbs, so all on them it is. The question is whether the back two on the exhaust side can be done with the cam tower in place...

Posted: 08-04-2014 06:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
gmgiltd

Can't comment on that - UK spec is tight because of the battery tray. Would also recommend the JHPS gaskets - I got a set not because I had any leaks but because it seemed to be a good update and they work well. I would imagine that if the cam cover threads are stripped then it is more than likely that they have seen considerably more than 4lb and the covers are probably splayed - the JHPS gaskets could provide a solution.
Gordon

Posted: 08-05-2014 10:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Primordious

Just a thought, it might be worth your time to pick up a 1/4" or 3/8" drive in/lb torque wrench if you don't have one already to deal with small fasteners in soft metals like aluminum. Speaking from personal experience, trying to achieve a 48 in/lb torque with the smaller scale torque wrench than 4 ft/lb on a large beam type wrench is easier for me.

Last edited on 08-05-2014 10:07 am by Primordious

Posted: 08-06-2014 12:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
srq2002

I started down the helicoil road to fix the holes, to discover that you can't do it while the cam towers are on the car.

From a JH factory trained tech from back in the day:
1) The holes in the cam towers were originally drilled and tapped from the back side. This is why you will see 8 or 10 turns of thread outside of the hole on the sides of the front end ones.
2) Because of this, a drill from the top would be pushed toward the outside, resulting in a misalignment with the cam cover.
3) The helicoil insertion tool can not be put flush against a hole from the top.
4) People who try wind up with a kludged mess that still leaks.

So, I will pull the cam towers and do all 12 holes from the back.

Last edited on 08-06-2014 12:19 pm by srq2002

Current time is 08:11 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Stripped out cam cover hole Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems