Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Driveshaft into transmission yoke - procedure?

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Driveshaft into transmission yoke - procedure?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 07-08-2005 01:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Ron Earp

I've got a 5 speed in my JH and I'm buttoning the car up for the first test drive. The other night I went to put the driveshaft into the tranmission output yoke and it fits really, really, really tightly. Most cars I've ever worked on the driveshaft will slide right out with no trouble.  This one won't, I used a few hammer taps to try and put it in but it only moved fractions of an inch and is now steadfastly stuck.

Is there something I am missing here? I'm going to get it out, if I can, and wire brush the splines so they are completely clean, then grease them up and try again.

Any hints or comments would be welcome.

Ron

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 07-08-2005 06:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

I've never heard of that one. It should be a snug fit that is simple to slide in and out. Are you sure you have the correct yoke installed? I'd check the transmission shaft splines to be sure they are not covered in rust and sludge. I assume it's stuck on the shaft and that the seal is fine, yes?

Posted: 07-08-2005 09:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

I agree with Greg, something's quite wrong here.  I've dealt with some pretty ugly parts over the years and don't recall any of them hanging up as you describe.  I suggest taking a really good look at the spline counts and diameters of yoke and output shaft once you get things apart.

Posted: 07-08-2005 09:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Jim Ketcham

Ron,

I inadvertantly caught the spring in the lip seal with the splined shaft and could not understand why the shaft would not go in easily.  Upon removal I discovered the wire from the spring enmeshed in the splines.   Might be your problem too.

Jim 

Posted: 07-09-2005 02:59 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Judson Manning

Ron,

Time-out....the 5-sp transmission has a fixed output flange, the 4sp has a splined output shaft.  The 5sp also has 2 versions of the driveshaft:  1 (late & aftermarket) & 2 (early stock) piece.  I wouldn't suggest the 2-piece version for HD applications.

The one-piece shaft has a splined intermediate section for fore-and-aft location which easily moves.  The 4sp has a splined section at the transmission end of the shaft ahead of the yoke which moves easily fore and aft.

I think you may have mixed and matched drive-shafts...post some pics of what you've got and we'll figure it out.

Judson

Posted: 07-09-2005 11:50 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Ron Earp

I'll get some pics later today.

5 speed has a U-joint and yoke on the rear.

Driveshaft is a single piece unit with a u-joint on the rear. 

This could easily be mixed and matched - I bought the 5 speed and drivershaft from a fellow JH'er from the board last year. Everything seemed like it would fit, but as I am learning there is no telling what the PO did!

Ron

Current time is 06:21 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Driveshaft into transmission yoke - procedure? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems