Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > Switched to Hagerty Insurance

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Switched to Hagerty Insurance  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-19-2014 09:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
answerman

After talking with a few people about it at Jensen East, I decided to do a little investigating on my own.  I have to say I'm quite pleased with the results.

Since I've had Ms. Jenavieve, I had her insured under my regular auto policy with *insert big name with fun TV commercials company here* since it seemed easiest and I just wanted to be sure I was covered for liability reasons.  I never even bothered with collision/comprehensive since I figured that they would have no way to value her anyway and it would be money down the commode.

Anyway, after going through the application process with Hagerty (had to send proof of an insured daily driver vehicle for each driver in the household, and a couple of photos of Ms. Jenavieve) I now have her insured with Hagerty and I can finally rest a little easier knowing that she is covered in the case of an accident.  And it's actually saving me money!

With *big name company* I had:
$250,000/$500,000/$250,000 liability coverage... and that was it.  Nothing to cover me, just the guy I hit. 
$298.00 per year. 

With Hagerty, I now have:
$250,000/$500,000/$250,000 liability coverage
$8000.00 guaranteed value for full collision and comprehensive coverage.
$750.00 spare parts coverage
and a few other goodies.
$132.00 a year.

Bit of a savings, eh?  To be fair, it's not quite as much as it looks like since I only had the coverage on Ms. Jenavieve from April to October (then she gets parked for the winter) but still... taking that into account and figuring half of the $298.00, it's STILL less money for a whole lot more coverage.  It's because the policy is written with the assumption that classic car owners take better care of their cars, don't drive them as much, etc.  Per mile compared to a normal policy, it's probably about the same, but why pay for 18,000 miles a year of driving coverage when I probably drive her less than 2000 miles?

Anyway, not a commercial, just putting this out there for anyone looking for options.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-19-2014 11:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

I used to have Hagerty but switched to American Collector's. Price dropped from $125 to $85 for the same coverage. YMMV
Kurt

Posted: 06-20-2014 05:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
answerman

Yes, I know there are other companies out there (Grundy comes to mind as well) so like you said YMMV. Regardless of which company you choose, my point was that I was happy I found a company that actually understands classic cars and how we use them.

I'm just relieved that I actually now have coverage to get her repaired in the event of an accident, or in the worst case scenario get a check in the event she is totalled so that I can buy another JH and start over again. Hate to lose all my hard work to an idiot driver, you know?

Posted: 06-21-2014 03:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

I totally agree! I have $6000 value on mine and a 2000 mile/ year restriction.

Posted: 06-22-2014 12:11 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Tom Bradley

I used to keep my JH5 insured even during the years when it was a garagester. The reason was that the multi-car discount AAA gave me was larger than the cost of the additional insurance as long as the yearly mileage was under 500 miles. So in effect, the cost of insurance was about negative 50 dollars a year. The free roadside assistance is nice as well now that it is back to being a roadster again. I already used it once when I ran out of gas when the gas gauge was not working. They also have some sort of classic car insurance, but I never looked into it since I am still treating my car as a fun was to get around rather than a collector's item.

Posted: 06-23-2014 08:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
answerman

Hagerty doesn't have a yearly mileage restriction, I made sure of that when I was going through the application process. They do understand that we drive our cars, they just don't want them to be our daily drivers.

Posted: 06-24-2014 01:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
jcdean

I had mine on a agreed upon value with my regular carrier, State Farm/

100/300/100
Uninsured Driver
$9000 Value.

As an addition to my current auto insurance it was $42 a year.

Posted: 06-30-2014 02:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Mitch Ware

From the side of running a body shop, Hagerty has been very easy to deal with. They understood that there was nothing standard about fixing a 40 year old car, and basically just agreed to whatever estimate we felt was fair. No having to battle over prices and materials used.

Mitch Ware

Current time is 07:10 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > Switched to Hagerty Insurance Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems