Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Interior work  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 07-06-2005 09:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Tim Knowlton

I am getting close to focusing on the interior of my 741/2 JH and am looking to the members for their opinions.  I want to have the seats redone most likely in leather that will match the existing orangey/tan original color. I will replace the carpets which is where I am looking for advice. Once I rip out the existing deterioated carpets what do I need to be concerned with regarding treatment to the floor area and any metal. I have read a bit about the POR 15 product to apply. What about applications that could keep the passenger compartment cooler. Once I have applied the recommended treatments and make sure there are no holes for water to seep in I plan on laying the carpet on the floor as well as the current application. any thoughts???

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 07-06-2005 10:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

POR15 has a really good reputation for stopping rust dead in its tracks.  A fairly large number of JH owners have used it on their floors and underpinnings, and as far as I know there have been no complaints about its performance.

For the floor, you're better off having the drain holes wide open, so any water that does get in will be able to drain out.  The carpet can be presumed to be reasonably porous, but you'd have to punch appropriate holes in whatever insulation you choose to put underneath it.  Just avoid driving through standing water that reaches the sills.

For the seats, you might want to consider leather on the surfaces that contact the occupant -- basically, top of the cushion, and the forward surface of the backrest -- and vinyl elsewhere.  This should give essentially the same benefits as all-leather seats but at a much lower cost.

Posted: 07-07-2005 04:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Ed Dias

Tim, I just completed installing a new Delta carpet kit into my 74 JH and did use the Por 15 product.  Like most who have used the product, I am very pleased with the outcome.

In addition, Tim, I installed Dynamat insulation over the entire body interior from the top of the fire wall to the trunk bulk head including the wheel wells. It adds a bit of weight and will cost you  $200-$300 depending where you source the Dynamat, but the imporvement in driver and passenger comfort is well worth the effort. I can hardly hear the fuel pump when I turn on the key and the heat no longer radiates into the the passenger compartment on those long trips.

I did notice that my engine runs a bit hotter, quess it can no longer dissipate the heat into the enterior of the car. Solve one problem, create another.

Good luck with your project.

Current time is 09:58 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Interior work Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems