Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Adhesive for Delta window wipes?

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Adhesive for Delta window wipes?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 04-30-2014 06:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
answerman

Got my big box o'parts from Delta yesterday, and Mike mentioned that the interior window wipes (the ones that attach to the inside door panels) were going to need to be glued on instead of being fastened the way the originals were.

Who's done this?  I'm looking for a recommendation of what glue to use.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 04-27-2017 12:12 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
allstateguy

I realize that this post is way old, but . . .

I just put both the inner and outer door window wipes on with adhesive, not glue.

After a lot of searching, I picked 3M 4929 VHB tape. It is thin, temperature resistant, and hella strong. They advertise it as replacing rivets so I thought I'd try it.

It worked well, I pop-riveted on the chrome pieces to the tops of the door cards, then applied the adhesive strip after roughing both the trim and the rubber with sandpaper, then wiping both with isopropal alcohol.

Keep pressing occasionally until the 24 hour full strength time period is over. Don't be tempted to "try it out" by tugging on it.

It's been back together for weeks now, and the windows roll up and down great, without any sign of the rubbers letting go of the door or the door panel.

Posted: 03-06-2019 03:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Ralph H

hi thanks for the post from last year re the tape you used for the window wipes installation I am doing the same job now. Having a heck of a time finding the tape by the roll so far but will keep looking If you recall what width tape did you use? and has it held up after a year on the car?

Last edited on 03-06-2019 03:41 pm by Ralph H

Posted: 03-06-2019 04:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
redracer

AMAZON has it in different widths:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=3M+4929+VHB+tape&ref=nb_sb_noss

Posted: 03-09-2019 06:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Ralph H

AAARRRGGGG what an ordeal I found the tape online but most sellers only deal in bulk at several hundred $ order. And on Amazon the cost for 1/2 inch by 15 foot roll is wild for shipping handling and import fees. Over $80 can.

Posted: 03-09-2019 06:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
redracer

sorry; didn't realize getting it to Canada would be such a problem.
If you're close to the border, have a friend order it & then pick it up(or maybe they could then ship it to you??).
For the outer window strip(which goes "bad" sooner than the inner one) I still use the 7 clips. I made a tool to "lift" them up after slightly widening the clips. Applying silicone paste also helped

Posted: 03-09-2019 06:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Ralph H

I am just under an hour from the border at Calais Maine and often have parts for the Jensen, MGA or our Rialta motor home shipped to a depot there. Nice enough drive and usually quick crossing times but needs to be large enough saving to justify the cost in gas. I have salvaged as many of the window and door parts as I can from the car and a parts car so will use what is needed to "get er done" :)

Last edited on 03-09-2019 06:58 pm by Ralph H

Posted: 03-12-2019 11:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Dick Fickey

I did both of my cars with 3M Black super weatherstrip and gasket adhesive. Worked great. Left the glass up to provide pressure until the adhesive set. No problems with the wipes coming loose.

Posted: 03-12-2019 11:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
redracer

I wouldn't count on it; I've used that years ago with poor results, even though they looked promising at first

Current time is 10:08 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Adhesive for Delta window wipes? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems