Moderated by: Greg Fletcher Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Tire Size  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 09-02-2014 05:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
gmgiltd

The original tyre size in the correct speed rating has been like trying to buy unobtanium in the UK, you can get the size but they are usually only suitable for trailers. Even 205/60's are getting scarce from any of the major manufacturers and they have a slightly smaller radius than standard. Here having an inferior speed rated tyre is enough to invalidate your insurance so it's something that should be taken into account.
I eventually got 15x6" wheels from the club store ( which allowed the fitting of bigger brakes) and use 195/55x15" R ratedPirelli P7 - very close to the original rolling radius and slightly wider and firmer than the originals. No clearance issues apart from a minor rubbing on full lock in reverse.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 09-03-2014 02:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
Randallclary@icloud.com

I need to get new wheels anyway so I might look seriously at the 15" solution. Thanks for the info.

Posted: 09-03-2014 05:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
subwoofer

I run 205/50R15s on 7x15" wheels. ET5 is just on the limit, I think I would buy ET10 wheels if I were to buy again.

As for tyres, I chose Vredestein Sportrac 5. Speed rating V (240km/h) and does not look wildly out of place since they have a traditional looking tread pattern.

--
Joachim

Posted: 09-03-2014 06:42 am
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
gmgiltd

Sorry my typo - markings on the P7 tyres are 195/55 R15 (radial) and they are V rated for 149 mph or 240 kph

Posted: 09-03-2014 07:13 am
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
answerman

Not necessarily performance tires, but I have a set of Kumho 185/70R13s on Ms. Jenavieve. Been very happy with them for the 2000 or so miles I've put on them, and they fit the stock wheels.

Posted: 10-28-2014 04:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
Tom Bradley

I finally replaced my ancient 205/60R13's with 15 inch wheels and Michelin 205/60R15's. I was considering putting the Kumho's on the stock wheels, but could not bring myself to trust tires that only cost $50.  Not with the way I like to take corners.

The new tires only only a few % bigger than the old ones, but there is definitely a noticeable difference in performance. Acceleration is slower, but RPM's on the freeway are lower, which is what I was really after. Cornering traction is also better: the old tires were so dried out they tended to slip without any squealing warning. I have not been able to get these new ones to squeal except when accelerating from stop around a tight corner.

I would not recommend these for a show car, though. The front of the front tires looked awfully close to the fender wall at some steering angles, so I ended up doing some sheet metal work to increase the clearance for my peace of mind. In retrospect, I think something closer to the stock diameter might have been a better choice.

On the positive side, my speedometer reads something close to the actual speed for the first time since I have owned the car (about 30 years), which makes my geeky engineer nature happy.

I should also mention that the larger tires also gives a bit more road clearance, which makes getting over speed bumps much easier.  There were some places where I used to scrape something no matter how carefully I went over that are no problem at all now.

Last edited on 10-28-2014 05:07 am by Tom Bradley

Current time is 04:25 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Wheels > Tire Size Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems