Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Foot Too Big?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 12-30-2013 10:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
JohnRLB

I recently bought a 74 1/2 JH with documented super low miles. It was built the last day of 74. Quite a story with pics. If you have time, use the link to learn more:
http://s255.photobucket.com/user/VegasJensenMan/library/74%20Jensen%20Healey )
While the car is practicably flawless, it has 2 problems: First, when pushing the brake, my foot (and my best friend’s too) touches the throttle. The engine roars and it’s dangerous. I’ve had other JH’s and don’t remember having this problem. Has my foot gotten larger with time or what? The other problem is that it’s hard to shift or find most gears. I don’t think it’s a syncro problem. Any ideas? Any help will be most appreciated. Thanks. John La Baum - johnrlb@cox.net

Last edited on 01-01-2014 05:02 pm by JohnRLB

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 12-31-2013 12:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Art DeKneef

Different shoes?

I measured the distances between pedals on one of the cars here. Gas pedal to brake is 2 inches. Brake pedal to clutch is 2.5 inches. Maybe this will help.

As for the trans, if you're sure the syncros are fine, how is the fluid?

Posted: 12-31-2013 12:05 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
JohnRLB

Thanks Art. I'll check everything.

Posted: 12-31-2013 01:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

If you have a 5-speed then the shifter assembly probably needs to be rebuilt they are prone to wear the plastic bushings out, then they get very wishy washy and it's hard to find the correct gear. Pete Bahr has a rebuild program for them.

Brett

I should have looked at your pictures first, I see you do have the 5-speed so that's probably your issue. Also be careful with that hood strut thats the main source for putting a bend into your hood.

Last edited on 12-31-2013 01:23 pm by Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Posted: 12-31-2013 03:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
JohnRLB

Thanks Brett. I know about the hood thing. When I bought my first JH in 74, a couple of days later I needed gas. The attendant checked the oil. Guess  the rest.

Posted: 01-02-2014 03:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Dakota123

I remember reading a road test where the tester complained about the pedal spacing as well. Mine is an early '73 and I had this problem. I agree, dangerous.

I managed to separate the throttle and brake to the point where hitting both doesn't happen any longer -- If I recall, the accel pedal is mounted to the arm by two screws. Loosen them and move the pedal away from the brake as much as possible. I think I also ended up bending the arm slightly as well. You'll still be able to heal-and-toe.

I also added a 1" extension to the clutch pedal made from the metal cover of an electrical junction box, bent and trimmed to shape plus some standoffs you can get at Lowes or Home Depot. Feels better to me to be a bit farther from the wheel.

Posted: 01-02-2014 03:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
JohnRLB

Thanks so much for the advise. It's good to know that others have experienced the same problem. I'll work on it.

Posted: 01-25-2014 02:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
DDrake

I always understood that the pedal placement was to facilitate heel & toe footwork .
However I have developed the habit of using the side of my foot and this seems to work well for my size 12 construction boots

Posted: 01-27-2014 08:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
roland11a

Hi
Nice car!

Just had mine sprayed white as I think it really suits the car. It was originally white but has spent much of its life Red.

unfortunatly even though I'm rebuilding a JH, I've never driven one as mine was a basket case when I got it.

Look forward to having trouble with the pedals.

Posted: 01-28-2014 01:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
JohnRLB

I’m glad you liked my car. The last JH I sold a few years back looked exactly like this one! I was hoping for a different color this time (Pacific Blue) but this car was so nice, I just had to buy it. Still looking for a Pacific Blue one or I might even settle for a black one but it’s gotta be a 75‘. In the meantime, I’ll have fun driving this one. Good luck with your JH project. I like buying them AFTER they’ve been restored. Maybe someday yours :)

Last edited on 01-28-2014 02:05 pm by JohnRLB

Posted: 02-02-2014 12:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
JohnRLB

Results of a few adjustments and some daily driving: Everything works and is just fine. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. If you’re looking to buy a JH, I hope you end up as satisfied and feel as lucky as I do with your purchase. Good luck.

Posted: 02-09-2019 03:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
noomg

JohnRLB,

Sorry about your fat feet but I've got a pair of Fred Flintstones myself and I've never had a problem with the pedals. I don't remember having a problem with the pedals when I first got the car. Maybe it's just about getting the feel for the pedal location.

The fact that you only buy restored cars probably makes you the smartest guy on this board.

Current time is 04:06 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > Foot Too Big? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems