Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Carburetors > New Aluminum Tanks - Anyone Interested?

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Printer Friendly
New Aluminum Tanks - Anyone Interested?  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 08-26-2005 05:48 pm

21st Post
jensen4u

Erik,

I was just curious about the tank so I called George. He told me that he would be able to make thisw tank in steel, stainless, and aluminum. He is going to call me back in about a week with prices. I will be sure to post this for everyone. Provided the price is resonable this could be geat news for us JH owners in search of a fuel tank.

Posted: 08-27-2005 12:35 pm

22nd Post
Harkes

i couldn't agree with you more. An aluminium tank would be ideal! I hope the price will be in the range of 300$ for an aluminium one.

thanks for calling Jorge.

cheers

erik

Posted: 09-01-2005 04:20 am

23rd Post
Joel

As luck would have it - it appears I'm in the market for a new tank. I just bought the car. I've been working on other gremlins - see my posts. But, I thought because she was running so bad I was getting REALLY crappy mileage.

Well - the car as set for about 2 weeks. Guess what? No gas! I haven't checked to see where it's leaking but gas tank is my guess.

Long story short - i'm about 15 minutes from CHula Vista. Please post on the tank when you have the $$. I'd be happy to run down there and chat with him in person.

Last edited on 09-01-2005 04:21 am by Joel

Posted: 09-01-2005 10:37 am

24th Post
Harkes

Including you that would be 3 persons already and perhaps Ron is interested in an alumium tank. Jensen4u has had contact with Jorge too and as soon as Jorge has done the tooling on the JH tank and actually made one, he'll get back with prices.

May be if you wait a couple of days you could go down there to actually inspect the JH fuel tank he made and determine/discuss the quality and price?

Jorge said he would have the tank made beginning of September. For me the price will determine whether it will be a normal steel one or an stainless steel one or alu.

please let us know what you find

thanks,

erik

Posted: 09-01-2005 05:47 pm

25th Post
Harkes

correction, including Dan we are 4. If Ron is interested for aluminium one than we are with 5 and i'll bet there will be quite a few more when the price is good!

may be we can even get discount when can do a batch of 10 or so.

will be continued,

cheers

erik, netherlands

Posted: 09-01-2005 08:45 pm

26th Post
Joel

I just got off the phone with Jorge. He set up the tooling and can make tanks. He said he spent 5 grand getting set up. (???)

Anyway, for a steel tank - $349.95. For Aluminum $600.00.

He told me he could have a tank for me next week.

Damn, this is going to be expensive.

Ron, anything else from your guy?

Posted: 09-02-2005 12:15 am

27th Post
jensen4u

I wonder if we all committed to George if he would cut us a price break on the aluminum tank. If he would discount it say $100 I would buy one today.

Posted: 09-02-2005 03:14 am

28th Post
pchung

if jorge can manage to come up with a group discount price of around $4 to 500.00 @ alumium tank. You can count me in on one!

tks, Pchung

Posted: 09-02-2005 06:27 am

29th Post
Joel

If I can get 10 people committed - I'll call him up and try to negotiate. Maybe Greg (I'm bettting you're reading this) would be willing to throw a little 'I'll advertise your tanks on JHPS' weight behind us?? Greg - you can call or PM me (do we have private messaging on this forum??) and we can discuss a way to negotiate with Jorge so there's some benefit for JHPS as well in the agreement.

600 bucks seems a little steep to me. At the 400 +/- it seems reasonable. If Jorge really did spend 5 grand to set everything up, an order of 10 @ 500 bucks would cover his set up costs.

I'm flying out of the country for a week on Tuesday. So, if we can get a roster going and discuss with Greg ASAP it would be good. I would think we would need to give Jorge a reasonable deposit. I'd be willing to give 50%. So - in order to have a real discussion w/ Jorge - who's willing to cough up 50% immediately to get a tank made?

Greg - if I can get a long list of definates maybe we can set up a conference call with Jorge?

Joel

PS: if we want ANY changes to the tank design it must be done now - or people will have to discuss with Jorge for costs associated with changing the original plan. FOr me - I can go stock - but if there are a couple of great ideas we can incorporate (and it doesn't take a millenia to agree upon them) I think this is a great time to implement them.

Posted: 09-02-2005 07:01 am

30th Post
Harkes

Joel, grant you are taking this up! 600 is pretty high for an alu tank. 400 is indeed more in the range i was hoping for. Together with Greg/JHPS and a list of at least 10 definites we should be able to get a better price. 400 $ for an aluminium and I buy today!! (Otherwise i will opt for the stainless steel one which is cheaper but heavier, but i feel everyone is more interested in the lighter aluminium one)

Look forward to the next steps.

erik harkes

Posted: 09-02-2005 12:58 pm

31st Post
themagicalswitch

I'm in for $400-$500. I doubt I'd be interested at $600 as I have a useable tank already.

Posted: 09-02-2005 04:37 pm

32nd Post
Joel

Looking back over the thread I have:

The yeas at:

me
Majic Switch
Hawkes
PChung
Jensen4U
Dan Collier

The 'maybes':
Don
Panini
Jim

Posted: 09-02-2005 11:52 pm

33rd Post
jensen4u

I'm in at $400-$500 for the aluminum tank. Just curious thought Harkes what SS tank are you refering to be cheaper. As I would prefer aluminum, but could definitely live with SS for the right price.

I could not agree more with a collective agreement on any changes we may want. I am sure that Judson Manning would have some good input.

Posted: 09-03-2005 05:46 pm

34th Post
Gary Martin JH 15371

I am also interested in a new tank. I had my old one cleaned and sealed with some red goop poured inside at a local radiator shop for $140. I'm not satisfied with the work. Tank still looks like crap on the outside and not sure how long the sealer inside will hold out.

I want something that is not going to rust. So sheet metal is out. I'm not too concerned with weight, so a stainless steel one would be fine for me.  The difference in weight between Aluminium and SS can't be more than a gallon of gas anyway. So I think SS would be fine for most people unless they are racing.

By the way that Triumph tank by George looks darn close to a JH tank. Has anyone compaired the two ? Looks like it might bolt right in with very little conversion. And it is only $199. Maybe he has a SS or Al version of that for less than $600.

Gary   

Posted: 09-04-2005 02:29 am

35th Post
jensen4u

Hey Guys,

Got the email from Jorge with prices. I know we already have them, but I thought this to be a good opportuntiy to negotiate with him so I responded as follows. Hope none of you minded me taking this on.

Jorge,
Thanks for getting back to me. I have been discussing your progress on a new JH tank to a group and we have gained some interest in the (14 GA./.080) aluminum tank. I have to say we are all shocked at the prices you have given me considering your prices for other similar tanks. I was expecting your price to be around $200 for steel, $300 for aluminum, and $400 for SS. I think we would not have any problem to committing to say 10 units of the aluminum tank for a better price. I understand tooling of such items can be costly and steel prices have been high but I am certain that if we committed to 10 this would be a good move in the right direction to pay for this tooling. My intensions are not to insult your efforts in any way. With that said would you be willing to manufacture say 10 (14 GA./.080) aluminum JH tanks for a total price of $400 ea delivered. We would be willing to consider say 50% down to show our commitment. Please advise me so that I can pass this info on to my group.
Regards,
Brad

I hope I captured the thread and all of our thoughts here accurately. I will be sure to post any response once I have one. Let's all keep our fingers crossed for now though!!!

Posted: 09-04-2005 04:57 pm

36th Post
jensen4u

Hey Guys,

Just got this email back from Jorge. Let me know what you think.

HELLO BRAD,

THE REASON THAT I SELL THE STEEL MGA, MGB, TR3 "A&B", THE AH3000 & AH100-4 FUEL TANKS FOR $249.95, IS THAT WE MADE THE TOOLING FOR THOSE TANKS 30 YEARS AGO & I'VE SOLD LITERALLY HUNDREDS & HUDREDS OF THOSE FUEL TANKS OVER THESE YEARS AND I STILL SELL PLENTY OF THEM EVERY MONTH.

IN THE LAST MONTH I'VE SPENT OVER $6000 MAKING THE TOOLING FOR THE JENSEN HEALEY FUEL TANKS, IN ORDER TO RECOVER THESE EXPENSE AND START MAKING MONEY I HAVE TO SELL OVER 50 FUEL TANKS & THE PRICES OF THE MATERIALS, SUPPLIES AND LABOR KEEP GOING UP AND UP... WITH THE FUEL PRICE INCREASES AND THE AFTERMAT OF KATRINA'S, I PREDICT THET THE COSTS ARE GOING TO RAISE EVEN MORE.

I WILL COMIT TO MAKING 10 "ALUMINUM" JH FUEL TANKS @ $449.95 EA. + $50 S&H = INS. = $499.95 EA. DELIVERED (ANY PLACE IN THE CONTINENTAL USA), AS LONG AS THEY ARE ALL ORDERED AT ONE TIME AND PAID IN FULL IN ADVANCE (THIS IS NOT A NEGOTIABLE POINT, I DO NOT MAKE ANY PART FOR ANYBODY, INCLUDING ALL THE MAJOR RETAILERS: MOSS, XK'S UNLIMITED, WELSH JAGUAR, ETC... WITHOUT FULL PAYMENT IN ADVANCE), 4 TO 6 WEEKS DELIVERY.

I NEED TO KNOW A.S.A.P., BECAUSE ALL MY WORKERS ARE ON "PIECE WORK" AND ONCE THEY START A JOB I CAN NOT STOP THEM TO START ANOTHER.

HOPING TO DO BUSINESS WITH YOU.

REGARDS,
JORGE CERVERA

Posted: 09-05-2005 07:32 am

37th Post
Harkes

450 is still pretty high for alu one (for stainless steel version it would be ok).

350 would be a really good deal ror an aluminium version. May be if Greg/JHPS puts extra weight in there by becoming the JH fuel tank reseller.. (Greg might be interested in stocking the fuel tanks, if so Jorge can be assured of future sales to get an early ROI) we might then be able to get 350 an alu one?

many thanks for taking it up with Jorge, Brad!!

oh yeah...i live in the netherlands. Hopefully Jorge would be willing to send one over for 100 S+H (350 + 100 = 450..)

Erik Harkes

Last edited on 09-05-2005 07:44 am by Harkes

Posted: 09-05-2005 09:53 pm

38th Post
Joel

Brad:

No worries. Thanks for chatting w/ Jorge.

Harkes - you should be able to ship international for 100 bucks. As long as you don't care how long it takes. . .

Keep posting your progress on getting the prices down. I'm outta town for the next week or so. But, I'm committed. Even at 450 I'll do it. But, I'd much rather see 350.

I also think this would be a good time to talk about any changes to the tank. Baffles? What else? Pretty much a simple drop in is my preference but I'm open to suggestions.

Also, what kind of problems did Delta have w/ their steel tanks that led to their being discontinued?

Posted: 09-06-2005 12:43 am

39th Post
pchung

Hi, Brad

Thanks for communicating w/ Jorge for the group! I still commit to ONE unit, even that Jorge wants $450 each.

Can you talk him into include baffles for the same price!

Thanks again.

Pchung

Posted: 09-06-2005 07:14 am

40th Post
Harkes

Jorge said, and i quote: THEY WILL COME COMPLETE WITH BAFFLES INSIDE, DRAIN PLUG AND NYLON GASKETS... unquote.

so 450$ includes baffles etc etc. but hopefully we can get it more down

Delta's problem with their new stainless steel tanks was that they seemed to be leaking...which is not a good thing.

what might be a good idea is, that someone goes down to Jorge may be together with Greg/JHPS to inspect the JH tank and then negotiate prices further..??

hope it works out!!

Last edited on 09-06-2005 07:20 am by Harkes

Current time is 01:15 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Page Last Page    
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Carburetors > New Aluminum Tanks - Anyone Interested? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems