Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > A Better Oil Cooler Adapter Sealing Solution

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
A Better Oil Cooler Adapter Sealing Solution  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 12-08-2013 01:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
atgparker

In many of the forum-threads the oil filter type seal which keeps the adapter fixed to the auxiliary housing can be a source for leaking. And it seems many are inclined to replace this seal with the oil filter or at least every other filter change. Well Professional Products makes these PFS-10857 filters with a serviceable 25 micron stainless steel screen. There is a magnet in the cover and they are without any bypass valve so all the oil gets filtered all the time.

But aside from the filters internals which do not have a drain back valve the neat part is that you can fix the base of this filter to the oil cooler adapter with the Power Filters integral O-ring seal so that the other seal on the oil cooler adapter can be kept properly compressed "forever". As the Power Filters O-ring seal allows the filters housings base to compress the O-ring in the O-rings groove and then the bases surface goes metal to metal with the oil cooler adapter's surface. This in turn then allows the compression of the adapter to the auxiliary housing seal to be properly compressed to prevent shifting of the adapter where the influence of the oil lines flexing from engine rock could cause an upsetting of the square seals used with the auxiliary housing and a conventional oil filter.

The outer cover of the Power Filter unthreads from its base so you can service the filters screen and see how much steel is on the magnet! It is a bit tight with the starter motor but if your cleaver you can figure out how to get this apart and together so as to re seat the filters element back in the base and the outer housing cover of the Power Filters construction. But the base stays in place while servicing the filer element which keeps the oil cooler adapter fixed and leak free because your not upsetting the compression on the seals. In addition the oil cooler adapter is better able to maintain its radial position because it is not sandwiched between a pair of relatively tall square cross section O-ring gaskets. Which begs the question to ask how much would one turn the filter after the pair of square O-rings have lightly seated when using a conventional oil filter, 3/4 turn 1-1/2 turn?

In the Power Filter's base the oil passage ways are wonderful huge conical shaped slots, not crappy little holes, so as all of your oil goes through the 25 micron screen all the time. Professional Products offer tighter micron filtration elements for race engines. It is important to make sure you clean this 25 micron filter element in hot soapy water at oil change intervals as you sort through the mayhem left behind from previous ownership.

With 11602 in less than 500 miles I have managed to collect all of the Permatex aviation gasket sealant from the inside of the engine that would get past the oil pickup screen that seemed to live in the sump? Which dam near clogged up the screen completely in my new Power Filter. So the "good news" is that if something goes south its going to get caught in this filters screen and what is more all of it is going to be trapped after the oil pump has sent it through this Power Filter!

Now lets hear the debate on the pros and cons about anti drain back valves in an oil filter on the 907!

Attachment: pfs-10884_w_ml.jpg (Downloaded 197 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 12-08-2013 04:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
gmgiltd

Looks interesting - I approached the problem from a slightly different angle. I ran the hoses to a Mocal oil thermostat through a remote filter mounted on a bracket behind the radiator. You can then use the standard filter and the oil only goes to the cooler when it needs to - surprisingly enough not that often, mainly only on hot days or in dense traffic.
Gordon

Posted: 12-08-2013 07:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
atgparker

Hello Gordon,
I think your thermostat is a very good idea with the cooler weather in England. This winter in Southern California has been a cooler one than in years past and being what it is with a 160°F thermostat in the coolant the oil pressure on my car seems to stay quite high until the oil has warmed up after about 5 to 10 minutes from a dead cold start. It seems the oil pressure is quite telling about how warm or cold the engines oil has become when at idle and its still above 50 PSI during the warm up period. I think the STP oil treatment I added to get the ZDDP into the Castrol 20W50 has mostly thinned out to a good degree at this point as the oil pressure seems to get nice and bouncy with RPM changes sooner in time than when I had first put it in the engine.

I make a catch ramp out of aluminum foil and position it under the Power Filter when I unthread the outer housing. This helps quite well with keeping things relatively oil free. But a remote mount would be excellent with this filter in a vertical orientation. It also has a 1/8 NPT plug in the end of the outer housing cover which one could use to drain it with or run a gauge from to see pressure across the filter to access the degree of muck that the screen may have caught. The amount of Permatex gasket sealant used on 11602's engine and transmission told me this was a favorite remedy for one or more of the PO's in this cars history. I literally removed a complete handful of this stuff from the oil pan when I had the engine out for the rear main seal folly.

Posted: 12-09-2013 03:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
gmgiltd

Hi, I appreciate that temperatures in London or Paris are not normally as high as in some parts of the US. Over there I have mainly driven in Houston where the traffic seems to be relatively smooth and free flowing. In Paris at rush hour it is normal to take an hour to go 3 miles - well its not exceptional.

Considering the amount of junk that your filter is picking up I would be be concerned about blockages in some of the bearing galeries - in fact I would be worried about the consequences of, for example, one cam deciding it did not want to turn -$$$.

Even without the thermostat the remote filter is a good mod - you dont have to take off the airbox to get at the filter or clean up the mess after. On top of that you can 'prime' the filter and if you mount it in the lower wheel arch behind the rad you can get good access to it and under it for oil changes.

Gordon

Posted: 12-10-2013 04:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
pbahr

Mounted my filter on the frame rail near the alternator.  See attached photo.

YELODOG

Attachment: ACCUSUMP configuration 004s.jpg (Downloaded 156 times)

Posted: 01-16-2014 06:59 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
gmgiltd

Similar setup to Pete with an oil stat mounted on the side frame with an aluminium bracket.
Gordon

Attachment: Oilstat and remote filter.jpg (Downloaded 107 times)

Current time is 08:40 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > A Better Oil Cooler Adapter Sealing Solution Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems