Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Accessories > Viewing the LCD on a modern stereo

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Viewing the LCD on a modern stereo  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 11-17-2013 10:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
dthewlis

19299 came from the previous owner with no radio, and I've finally installed a receiver and speakers (separate thread) with a USB connection for an iPhone.   The receiver is an Alpine model (recommended by Crutchfield) with an LCD display.  However with the top down and any sun at all, the LCD is unreadable from the driver's seat (whether or not one is wearing sunglasses) - the sunlight drowns out the display. 

So far I haven't been able to find a unit without an LCD display, these days even the "retro" units I have found with two knobs, etc., have LCD displays.

This might be due to the position of the display which is on the right side of the unit's front panel but I'm wondering if others have had this problem and if so what if any solution they have found.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 11-18-2013 06:51 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
answerman

Not much you can do, it depends on the stereo. I have a Retrosound Model One from Crutchfield and I can see that just fine, it's got a really bold display.

Posted: 11-19-2013 02:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
dthewlis

Thanks. In fact I was looking at the Retrosound Model 2 (because I want USB support for iPhone) which has the advantage that it can look rather close to the original radio in JHs (at least in pics I've seen).  But I purchased the Alpine earlier this year and it is extravagant to go out and get another.  Then again if I can't see the display it's of little use to me.

Last edited on 11-19-2013 02:18 am by dthewlis

Posted: 11-19-2013 05:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
answerman

Yup, you've probably seen this picture, I've posted it a couple of times.  This is the Retrosound Model One C with "Becker" faceplate mounted in Ms. Jenavieve:

Looks pretty period-appropriate in my opinion.  I don't like to have to plug things in when I get in to drive, so instead of going with the USB phone support, I decided I liked this better.  It has a SD card reader which I stash in the glovebox.  I got a 32GB card and put all my music on it, popped it in the reader, and I never have to worry about plugging anything in, it's always there, ready to go.  I like simple :-)

Posted: 07-18-2018 07:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Spaceman

How do you get the radio panel out? I am told it pulls out from the front?

cheers

Posted: 07-18-2018 08:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
answerman

It does pull out from the front. From memory: remove the radio retaining hardware (that's basically what's holding the panel in place). Then, pop out the indicator lights and fan switch (you can pull the lights out far enough to pull the bulb socket out of the housings).

All that's left is the choke cable and heater controls: you can set the heater controls toward the center but not directly on top of each other, and then squeeze the top one down and the bottom one up to get the flat "knobs" next to each other and they'll slide through the slot when you pull the panel. For the choke cable, I just pulled the choke out all the way and that gave me enough slack to pull the panel back far enough to swivel it out of the way.

The radio itself has a separate bracket it's mounted to, easily accessible once the main trim panel is out of the way.

Current time is 10:53 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Accessories > Viewing the LCD on a modern stereo Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems