Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Fuel Tank Repair Options  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 11-11-2013 07:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
answerman

As mentioned in my restoration thread, Ms. J is off the road for the winter and the disassembly is beginning.  One thing I need to address is the leaky fuel tank (at least I'm pretty sure it's the tank, haven't taken it and the pump out to inspect all the fittings and such).  It's not gushing or anything, but the boot pretty much stinks of gasoline, I can see dampness on the boot floor, and there is a small puddle that forms near the left rear wheel when she sits for any length of time.

Assuming it is the tank, I'm curious as to what your experiences are with the various solutions (such as POR-15 or the Eastwood kit) out there to seal it.  I've read through the posts and seen a lot of varying opinions as to what works and what doesn't  The reviews seem to be all over the map too, though I tend to treat online reviews with a grain of salt since I have no idea if the reviewer actually followed the directions.  I trust opinions on this forum much more.

Alternatively, has anyone bought and installed one of Jorge's replacement tanks of late?  Those reviews are kind of all over the map too.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 11-11-2013 07:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Art DeKneef

Depends on where the leak is. Since you mention it pools on the drivers side floor I can think of two possibilities.

First, the gasket or fitting for the pump is old and not sealing properly causing a slow leak. This would be the prefer possibility as a new gasket should fix the problem.

The other is a leaky gas tank on the bottom because of rusted pinholes. Which means the floor might need to be repaired also. Only way to tell and properly fix is to take the tank out and visually inspect. If the bottom of the tank isn't too bad it can be repaired by a competent repair shop. They can fix the pinholes and clean the inside.

If the tank was real bad I think you would see more gas pooling in the trunk.

Personally I wouldn't use one of the after market gas tank repair kits.

As for the Jorge's aluminum tanks, I think everyone has been satisfied with the tank itself. The issue has been the gasket he supplies with the tank for the fuel level sender.

I've had to repair one tank because of pinholes but the other two have been fine.

Posted: 11-11-2013 08:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
answerman

Yeah, I'm hoping for something related to the pump as that would be much easier to deal with. Since the tank is coming out for the restore anyway, I was just planning for the worst. There isn't much pooling in the trunk itself, it's just damp and smells like gas.

I should point out, just to be clear, that the puddle I spoke of is under the car on the garage floor, so whatever is leaking is escaping the trunk completely. At first I thought it might be brake fluid because of where the puddle was, but it's definitely gas.

Do radiator shops still repair fuel tanks, should that be needed?  I assume it can be pressure tested somehow.

Last edited on 11-11-2013 08:53 pm by answerman

Posted: 11-11-2013 09:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Art DeKneef

Since the puddle is on the floor the other possibilities still exist but it could be leaking from the drain plug. That gasket should be replaced as well.

The only way to tell is put it up on a couple of supports, put some gas back in and see where the puddles form.

I think if you can find an old time radiator repair shop they still might be able to do it. There was one near me but they closed during the recession a few years ago. The repair shop I used to check the heater core earlier this year was expensive at $60.00 I thought.

Current time is 01:52 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Fuel Stuff > Fuel Tank Repair Options Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems