Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Carburetors > Factory Air Box with Strombergs

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Factory Air Box with Strombergs  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 10-17-2013 05:44 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
answerman

Hi everyone... due to our lovely Wisconsin weather, Ms. Jenavieve is probably a week or two away from the start of her teardown to swap out her body parts for the rust free ones I scavenged from the parts car I acquired this summer.

While she's apart, I am planning on addressing a few non-body related things, and one regards the airbox/air filter.  I haven't seen a direct answer to this question on the forum (though some indirect ones), so I will bring it up again.

Currently, she has K&N aftermarket filters on her.  The carbs are the standard US issue Strombergs (and no, I don't plan on replacing them with Dellortos).  I do have the factory airbox and all fittings, which was in the boot when I got her.

Keeping in mind that I am not racing her or trying to squeeze every available bit of HP out of her (she is just a fun road machine),  is there any advantage or disadvantage to the factory airbox vs. the K&N filters, keeping in mind that these are Strombergs we are talking about?  Reason being that I am trying to keep her as original as possible, and if it's a wash performance wise between them, I think I would like to put the factory airbox back on just because it makes her more unique under the hood for shows and such.

Looking for advice from those who have been there.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 10-17-2013 04:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

Contrary what many owners would like to believe and indeed what one might assume, dyno tests have shown that the factory air box will actually increase airflow and HP slightly over the K&N air filters on the JH.

Posted: 10-17-2013 05:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
answerman

Right, I have seen this discussed in regards to the Dellortos. Any thoughts as to if this is also true with the Strombergs?

Posted: 10-18-2013 01:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
gmgiltd

The standard air box is better than open K&N type filters - have tried on both types of carb over the years with and without ram pipes . A Lotus Excel or Éclat air box is even better and you can either use a K&N element for it or as I have done fit 112mm ram pipes and use an external pipercross filter. Not only does it tone down the induction noise but flows and filters better. The longer ram pipes help with low and mid range torque - something in the real world you need far more than top end power.
Gordon

Posted: 03-18-2014 06:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
answerman

Getting ready to put Ms. Jenavieve back together, and something popped into my mind this morning. And to be honest, I really haven't looked that closely at my current setup, so the answer might be right in front of me but...

If you read through this thread, I'm contemplating putting the original factory airbox back on to replace the K&N filters that are currently mounted. Question: are there some sort of gaskets, specific to the factory airbox, that needs to be mounted between the airbox and the Strombergs? Or, are they the same as the K&N gaskets, assuming they are there?

Call me lazy. I'll look tonight, but just in case anyone wants to chime in...

Posted: 03-21-2014 06:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Tom Bradley

Mine has gaskets, though they are so old and hard, I am not sure they are actually doing anything useful. But if there are any cracks, they are small enough that they probably filter about as good as a commercial air filter. The mating part of the air box looks flat enough that it probably does not need a gasket, though I will likely buy or make new ones one of these days.

Posted: 03-21-2014 07:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
mdutch

I cut new airbox gaskets out of cork and they work ...like gaskets. Made a paper pattern from the Strombergs and spent a half hour with a razor knife and some gasket cork. They fit dry (with no sealers).

Does anyone have info on replacement filter for the grey factory airfilter housing? My filter is missing so need someone to feed me a part number.

Last edited on 03-21-2014 07:21 pm by mdutch

Posted: 03-21-2014 07:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
answerman

That's what I was thinking... just make new gaskets if I had to.

I just ordered a new filter from the JHPS store (gotta support this place, right?).

http://www.jhps.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=Warehouse&Product_Code=93013KN&Category_Code=Carb

Current time is 11:21 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Carburetors > Factory Air Box with Strombergs Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems