Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Changing Pinion Oil Seal  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 10-13-2013 04:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Jim Picot

While doing the rear suspension I had the rear axle out as well, and noticed oil leaking from the pinion, so decided to fit a new pinion oil seal. After removing the flange, I came across the oil slinger, which according to the Vauxhall Viva HB manual, needs to be removed. It blithely says "prise out oil slinger". The JH workshop manual makes no mention of it, although it appears on all the exploded diagrams in the parts catalog.

But how do I remove it? It's a tight fit in the diff casing, and my attempts so far seem to have only driven it in further. I can't get anything in around it to "prise" it out. Or should I just dig it out (probably damaging it in the process) and fit a new one?

Any ideas?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 10-15-2013 12:55 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jim Picot

I've worked it out...I was following the Haynes manual for the Vauxhall Viva HB, which says to remove the flange, and then the oil slinger before prising out the old oil seal. I now realise the JH diff is actually the Viva HC diff, not the HB, and they are different. The oil slinger is still attached to the flange assembly (I just put it aside after removing it and didn't give it another thought).

The original seal has a metal casing, which I mistook for the slinger. A few vigorous tugs with a seal puller got it out.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 06:04 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Changing Pinion Oil Seal Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems