Home 
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Wheels > Wheel centre (pilot) bore?

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
subwoofer

Does anyone know the correct centre bore? The stock wheels use the cap for centering, does anyone know the nominal measurements?

--
Joachim

atgparker

I just went through cleanng up and repainting the black on the original wheels and the "rubber/plastic" cap does a poor job if not non existant job of centering the wheel on the boss which peers through the drum brake. I'm finding that the best way to get the wheel centered as best I can is to get each pair of lug nuts that are across from each other to spin freely while the other two hold the wheel firmly in place. Then I get an average in centering the wheel. This is certainly as awful as a Land Rover but at least there is symetry with four lugs. I'll measure the boss on the axel tonight as the caliper is in hand. I might have to make some sleeves that do this properly and just let the lugs draw the wheel down the way they are intended too!

subwoofer

Measured the hubs tonight, as far as I can tell the required centre bore is 51.1mm (which I have seen in a list of spacers).

I am getting modern cone nuts with the new wheels, so the wheel will align properly with just the nuts, but the correct centre bore will make them easier to get on in the first place. The originals may look cool but do a rather lousy job.

--
Joachim

Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Since the hubs were manufactured in inches the dimension is probably 2 inches which would be 50.8mm. The wheels should have a tolerance for ease of fitting since the studs are the actual centering device. A 51.1mm wheel center makes sense.

Primordious

Just adding my 2 cents here, but nearly every factory alloy wheel (and all factory steel wheels) I have ever seen has been a hub-centric design using the machined center of the hub to properly center a wheel on an axle. All the wheel studs/bolts are supposed to do is clamp the wheel on to the axle/hub.

Higher end aftermarket wheels (examples; BBS, OZ Racing) do come as a hub-centric design, where as the usual method for lower end to middle market aftermarket wheels have their center bores cut to the largest size hub using a particular bolt circle and depend on the lug-centric centering (examples; American Racing, Enkei). Some brands like MSW could be ordered with nylon spacers to fill the gap between the wheel center hole and the hub to give you a better fit.

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems