Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Accessories > OEM Door speaker grilles for Jensen Healey

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
OEM Door speaker grilles for Jensen Healey  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 09-11-2013 12:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
dthewlis

I am trying to match (as far as possible) the original door speaker grilles for my JH but I don't have a good enough picture of them to to work from.  Generally the pics in the gallery aren't bothering with the speakers in the doors, needless to say.  Can anyone point me to a good pic of the speaker grille or send me one?  I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dave Thewlis
dthewlis@dcta.com

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 09-11-2013 11:25 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
jcdean

I have had three JH's now and the door speakers I have seen are all retrofits. The original speakers, I believe, were on the sides of the tranny tunnel in the footwells.

Posted: 09-11-2013 01:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
dthewlis

Turns out up through 13499 (approximately) the speakers were indeed in the center console on either side of the transmission tunnel - which actually has scoop-outs in the metal to accommodate them.  As of 13500 the speakers were moved to the door panels (but the scooop-outs int he transmission tunnel remained).

On the central console the speaker grilles were round.  On the doors they were "rounded squares".  I just got a pic from Frank Schwartz of the door grilles on his car and they are the original speaker grilles.

So now I can move from being sure I know what they look like, to finding a pair!  Anybody out there have some spares they would be willing to part with?

Dave

Posted: 09-11-2013 06:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
answerman

I actually think I may have my originals. Let me look. If I do, you can have them for whatever it costs to get them to you.

Posted: 09-11-2013 06:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
dthewlis

That would be great!

Dave Thewlis
4390 Chaffin Lane
McKinleyville, CA 95519-8028

Let me know please, and thanks.

Dave

Posted: 09-15-2013 07:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
answerman

Found them. I'll stick them in a Priority Mail box on Monday. I'll let you know what the shipping is.

Posted: 09-15-2013 01:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
dthewlis

That's great.  Thanks - and be sure and give me an address to send the check to :)

Posted: 09-18-2013 04:48 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
answerman

Mailed them out on Monday, you should have them by the end of the week. $5.60 in postage, return address is on the envelope. Just glad to help out a fellow member here, everyone's been so helpful to me over the past year.

Posted: 09-18-2013 01:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
dthewlis

Great, thank you very much.  BTW I'm leaving Friday on a trip, back the 28th.  If I don't get them by the time I leave, I'll send the postage back after I return.  Thanks again!

Posted: 09-19-2013 08:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
dthewlis

Grilles arrived, thank you very much indeed. Check in the mail tomorrow morning.

Dave

Posted: 09-19-2013 10:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

How about a photo?

Posted: 09-19-2013 11:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
dthewlis

Will definitely do once I get things installed - won't happen for a few weeks as I'm leaving on a trip tomorrow.  Looking at the original door speaker grilles you sent, I have now uncovered a new difficulty.  The new speakers I got (Retrosound 452N) are the right size, not too deep, and sound really nice.  But they have a little tweeter right in the center which protrudes about 1/4 inch from the plane of the speaker front.  You can see this coming - the original grilles are indented so won't fit cleanly over the speakers. 

I need to see if I can recess the speakers in the doors  somehow to let the original grilles fit over them correctly - or make some kind of a gasket which I was hoping to avoid - or find another set of speakers that will work.

I managed to get original new center console speaker grilles from Marten Robey and I am not quite sure if they will have the same problem with these speakers but it might be easier to recess the speakers in the center console.

(The overall plan, since the new audio system has both front and rear stereo outputs, was to have the driver's side be the 'front' and the passenger's side be the 'rear'.) The installation works but the speaker grilles which came with the Retrosound speakers are too large and too domed, almost interfere with opening and closing the glove compartment, and just look out of place.  Sometime before I got 19299 the original owner had the car re-upholstered in white leather (Southern California) - when they did it they left off the door speakers, the courtesy lights, and other stuff.  Hard to make myself cut the leather...)

Posted: 09-23-2013 04:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
answerman

dthewlis wrote: Looking at the original door speaker grilles you sent, I have now uncovered a new difficulty.  The new speakers I got (Retrosound 452N) are the right size, not too deep, and sound really nice.  But they have a little tweeter right in the center which protrudes about 1/4 inch from the plane of the speaker front.  You can see this coming - the original grilles are indented so won't fit cleanly over the speakers. 

I need to see if I can recess the speakers in the doors  somehow to let the original grilles fit over them correctly - or make some kind of a gasket which I was hoping to avoid - or find another set of speakers that will work.
Yes, and that's why I ended up not using them and was able to send them to you.   Though I didn't have the original speakers in Ms. Jenavieve when I got her, they were probably similar to the originals in being a basic full range speaker with a whizzer cone for the tweeter.  The speakers I ended up installing were obviously not going to work with the original grilles, so I just bit the bullet and used the ones that came with the speakers.

Posted: 10-18-2013 04:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
dthewlis

I finally completed the installation.  I was able to mount the Retrosound speakers on the door metal, and the new leather-covered door panels were think enough that I got away with fastening the speaker grilles to them.  I had the grilles glass-beaded and painted so they look pretty good, and the center console grilles provided by Martin Robey do seem to be the originals (based on the diagrams in the Supplemental Parts Catalogue). 

I tried to get a picture that showed both the door grille and one of the center console grilles, attached below.  If anybody is interested in the process I took pictures throughout and could put an album up somewhere. 

Attachment: IMG_0483.jpg (Downloaded 223 times)

Posted: 01-17-2016 09:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
dbeliveau74

That's a nice looking interior
Cheers
Dan

Posted: 01-21-2019 04:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
noomg

dthewlis,

I'm just getting ready to redo my interior, is that a Rejen interior or did you have it done locally?

Posted: 04-08-2020 05:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
PF18602

These are what I believe to be the original speaker covers and split pins to hold them in place

Attachment: 93765E34-EBE5-4E1C-BFA1-72565EA23E03.jpeg (Downloaded 79 times)

Last edited on 04-08-2020 05:37 pm by PF18602

Posted: 04-08-2020 05:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
PF18602

Side shot. Hard to see the features in 2D, but the outer portion of holes dips down, will the inner portion with the speaker icon comes up

Attachment: D431C817-785C-4B98-88F8-16A1D37E7611.jpeg (Downloaded 78 times)

Posted: 04-09-2020 03:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
noomg

PF18602,

Since my last post a year ago on this thread I've finished the interior(Rejen)and had the same problem with replacement speakers. A PO at some point junked the original 5 1/4" speakers and replaced them with 6 1/2" ones. The problem was they also cut away door metal so the originals no longer fit.

I wanted to stay as original as possible. I found a set of 5 1/4" Pioneers but the modern covers just didn't look right. Fortunately I still had the original speakers from my TR7 which were replaced because one had blown out. As it turns out the covers look almost exactly like yours, same shape, finish, and even the same speaker symbol.

The Rejen door cards are quite stout so I was able to mount the whole assembly to it. I guess it's true when they say "don't throw away anything"!

Posted: 04-09-2020 04:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
PF18602

Noomg,

Nice! Congrats on the finished interior. Nice work on saving the old parts. I’m always in favor of keeping things as well, though I try to be conscious of the hoarding mentality. Though of course there have been a few times that I’ve been bummed about throwing something away when I’ve needed it a year later. Space can be valuable though. The trick to hoarding is remembering that you have it!

Crazy that you have 6.5” speakers in those doors! Mine are only 4”, and I think that is original. Funny how much we have to do with these cars to make it “right for us.” And then we get mad at PO’s decisions....humbling.

Stay healthy!
Patrick

Current time is 04:24 pm Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Accessories > OEM Door speaker grilles for Jensen Healey Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems