Home 

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
cgillies

Looks like I have some pulleys and brackets for AC in my car 1975 20180.. I live in Austin TX so AC is critical (nearly - drive her every day anyway)  Should I try to find the parts for an original AC unit or install an under the dash new unit?

Colin 

Art DeKneef

The AC was probably a dealer installed option.

I would think you would have better luck getting a new under dash unit then try to fit old pieces together. That plus the fact of going from R-12 to R-134a.

The GT parts car I recycled had AC and I took all the parts off. One of the hoses was cracked and a few parts were broken or missing. I still have some of the parts around here waiting on me.

To see what a fellow JH and Texan go to http://jhppg.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=28946 and see what Dan did. Maybe he will pop in and add his experience.

cgillies

Thank you Art - much appreciated. I will take a look at the link

noomg

I realize this is an eight year old thread but since this message board isn't exactly teeming with activity I thought I'd chime in.

Trying to recreate an original AC unit for a car this old and this rare would be at best extremely difficult. Plus as Art mentioned it's an R-12 unit which would require conversion to R-134a.

AC in Texas would indeed be very nice to have and you'd probably be inclined to drive your J-H more often, which is a good thing. I'd take a look at a new, modern, aftermarket unit, try Vintage Air(I believe thy're in TX) or Classic Air.

chrisl

Well, it's 39C here today (about 102F I think).

I think A/C would really improve the usability of a GT so a while ago I started looking at options.

Here's a link to a website I came across where someone installed a Vintage Air unit (scroll down the page to about halfway):

http://jensengt.blogspot.com/

noomg

Chrisl,

AC would certainly be a nice upgrade for a GT. If this is something you're considering I can recommend the Vintage Air unit. I installed one in my '67 Chevy El Camino, it was one of the best upgrades I did.

While the installation was quite involved it was not difficult and very straightforward. It cost $1300 for the complete unit, directions provided were excellent, and when I called the factory with a couple of questions they were very helpful. After I finished the install I took it to a service center and had them check and charge.

An AC install is involved and a a bit pricey but trust me when that cold air hits you in the face on that first 39C day you won't even remember what it cost.

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems