Home 

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
George

Hi everybody.  I am taking the exhaust cam tower off my engine, following Greg's sage advice in the mag.  I turned the drive shaft 90 degrees counterclockwise from TDC per instructions.  Greg then notes that with the belt off, the camshafts should spin and if there is any resistance, you may not have the pistons all the way down and the valves might be hitting.

How easy should they be to spin?  Neither of my camshafts will turn either direction.  I've tried adjusting the driveshaft a bit each way but still unable to move the camshafts by hand.  They were spinning thru use of the starter motor before I took the belt off.

Any helps greatly appreciated, as I dig myself deeper into a hole . . .

George

Jim Ketcham

You should be able to turn the cams by hand turning the cam cogs. Remember you are compressing valve springs so there will be resistance. I have stiff springs and 104 cams and can still turn by hand. As you turn resistance will vary significantly as you compress and release springs. If you want to be sure of piston position look thru spark plug holes with a flashlight to see the tops of the pistons. You can also use a small wood dowel thru the spark plug hole and measure how far down each piston is.

George

Got it - thanks, Jim.

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems