Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Stuck rear brake, weak brakes  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-28-2013 12:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Gary Martin JH 15371

I just went through all my brakes two years ago, including rebuilding both rear wheel cylinders. Brakes were working ok, although they don't really seem to stop the car like I would expect, they seem very weak as far as stoping power. Now that the car has sat for a few months, the left rear brake is stuck on. The emergency brake mechanism is releasing, so it is something internal to the drum again. Is there any reason the rear wheel cylinders keep sticking, or maybe the brake adjuster is over tightening the shoes ? Don't remember if I have the Lockheed or Girling type, it is a 74 mark 2.

I have never rebuilt the front calipers. They do work, and the car does not pull, but like I said the stopping power is very weak. Pedal is firm. Just takes a lot of foot pressure to stop the car. I think the power booster is working. Is there a good test to see if the boster is working correctly ?

Gary.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-28-2013 03:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

The flex hoses can fail internally sometimes causing locking symptoms.

The disk brake pads may be glazed. Turning or replacing the rotors and installing quality pads should increase your stopping power. You can try dressing the rotors and pads with 120 grit emery cloth to identify the issue.

Kurt

Posted: 06-28-2013 07:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Jim Ketcham

The vacuum booster diaphragm can be checked by seeing if it holds vacuum. If you do not have a vac pump or gauge try blowing in it ( by mouth). If you can then it leaks and is not working.

Current time is 06:02 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Brakes > Stuck rear brake, weak brakes Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems