Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Lucas alternator wiring  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-27-2005 09:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
andrewo

What is the middle contact of the Lucas alternator supposed to hook to? It looks as if it might go to the + terminal on the starter, but I don't want to blow anything up.

Thanks - Andrew

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-27-2005 11:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Judson Manning

Andrew,

Unlike the Delco Alternator, the Lucas Alternator only has +12V outputs (the 3/8" spade connectors) plus the 1/4" connector for the ignition light.  The outputs are identical.

Every JH wiring harness I've seen is slightly different, so I couldn't tell you exactly which wire goes where.  However, I assume you're replacing another Lucas alternator?  If so, it doesn't matter if you flip-flop the 3/8" terminals.

Of special note...The Delco Alternator has 3/8" ground connector.  If you are replacing a Delco Alternator with a Lucas unit YOU WILL BLOW SOMETHING UP if you attach the GND wire to the +12V terminal!

Just remember the story about the "Lucas Smoke" on Ebay...

Judson

Posted: 06-28-2005 03:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
andrewo

I am actually reinstalling the Lucas on a car that I have been restoring for a few years now, and I just couldn't remember. It sounds like I could eliminate that wire altogether, since the other + output goes into the battery junction. If I run the second + output to the starter terminal, whiich is what the PO seems to have done, then I am really just duplicating my wiring, since that will feed back to the + side of the battery, just like the lead that goes into the junction, correct?

Current time is 09:14 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Lucas alternator wiring Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems