Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > fan belts on later engines

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
fan belts on later engines  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-18-2013 03:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Art DeKneef

I have an engine from a GT that I am getting ready to use. There was no fan belt that connected the air pump, fan and crank. So the question is to those of you that have the later engines with air pump. What did you do for a fan belt to those that are not using the air pump?

I'm thinking just use a belt over the fan and crank. Has to fit pretty tight as there will be no adjustment. Or fashion a pulley that's adjustable where the air pump was.

Any other ideas or thoughts?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-18-2013 07:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
answerman

Cheesy answer, but couldn't you just install the air pump and not hook it up? Basically just use it as a pulley.

Having no experience in the particular motor you're talking about, I would think the adjustable pulley route would be the way to go.

Posted: 06-19-2013 01:32 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Art DeKneef

I would if I could. The old air pump is rusted together and so far no amount of soaking and persuasion has loosen it.

I'll rig up a bracket and pulley after I fix the trans mount location. There is a difference between a 4-speed car and a 5-speed car mounting location. Grumble..If it's not one thing it's another.

Posted: 06-19-2013 12:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

My JH engine use to have a air pump that was removed, so the fan belt now goes from the crank to the alternator to the water pump, and is adjusted for tightness at the alternator.

Brett

Posted: 06-19-2013 07:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Art DeKneef

Hmmm. This engine has a 3 groove pulley. Groove 1 (closet to engine) lines up with crank, water pump and where the air pump was. Middle groove lines up with alternator. Groove 3 lines up with condenser (not being used at this time) and another pulley.

I have the standard Lucas alternator. What alternator do you have?

Current time is 05:23 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > fan belts on later engines Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems