Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
sunbeam gearbox  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-12-2013 02:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
patrick lovering

Hi all, just notice there is a Sunbeam Rapier gearbox with a laycock overdrive on ebay uk at the momment, I realise this might be not much use to you in the States, but just thought I'd mention that I have made this conversion to my Mk2 and it works well, the extra gears really relax the engine on motorways and effect quite a saving in fuel.
The gearknob mounted overdrive switch from a Triumph Stag works a treat and looks pretty cool too.
Patrick

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-14-2013 11:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Frank Schwartz

Too bad such things never appear here in the US....

Posted: 06-15-2013 11:53 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
patrick lovering

they're pretty rare over here too, I think the Laycock overdrive units were also fitted to Jaguar, Austin Healy, Alpine, Hillman, Triumph, MG.

Posted: 06-19-2013 05:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

Ages ago, Richard Appleyard in the UK did an article for our club newsletter on how to do this conversion. I'll have to dig that out. Sounds worthwhile, but I remember it being expensive back then and some of the parts where already hard to get. It did require a fair amount of fiddly work and fabrication.

Posted: 06-19-2013 06:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
patrick lovering

The overdrive is just a bolt on affair and electrically activated via the stag gearknob switch, the cables running up a supplementary metal pipe I braised onto the gear stick. you are also supposed to drill and tap a cut out switch that stops you selecting reverse whilst in overdrive. I did'nt do this out of laziness and as a result made the gearbox make some horrible noises a few times! 

Current time is 11:35 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > sunbeam gearbox Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems