Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Fender and rocker panel removal questions

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Fender and rocker panel removal questions  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-09-2013 04:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
answerman

So... I'm in the process of disassembling Ms. Jenavieve's donor car (details in another thread).  In the process, a few questions have come to mind...

1.  What exactly is the trick to getting the rear fenders off?  I have every bolt and rivet imaginable removed, and it would appear that the only thing holding the rear fender on now is a tiny weld at the rear where it meets the trunklid.  That one's not a big deal.  However, it still seems to be attached at the top front in the doorframe, even though I've drilled out all rivets and actually cut through the weld where it was smoothed off where it wraps around the doorframe.  It seems like there should be nothing holding it on, but it is kind of pivoting at that point, not breaking free (and also seems like it's attached all the way along the trunk lip).

2.  How exactly are the rockers attached?  Are there any bolts involved, or is it simply welded to the bodyshell?  I was hoping to get a better idea once the rear fender was removed, but.... see #1 above.

3.  What is the best way to remove the floorpans from your experience?  Cut them out?  Try to heat up the welds to pop them free?

Since the donor car is going to be scrapped once I remove everything I want, I'm leaning toward just cutting the parts I need off, basically leaving the parts of the bodyshell that seem to still be welded in place attached (in other words, keeping the parts I need intact and cutting an extra inch off of the remaining bodyshell just so I can get the parts off, and then dealing with removing the extraneous material once the parts are removed).  However, when it comes time to remove the parts from Ms. Jenavieve to be replaced with these, I'll be running into the same issues again, so figured it was best to get it sorted out ahead of time.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-09-2013 08:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
roland11a

The rear wing/Fender is also attached with Pop rivets to the B piller and the rear number plate panel. These might be hiding under a skim of filler. Strange though my wings had no weld holding them on so these might have been replaced at some time.

Floor pans need to have the spot welds drilled out but be aware the seat support rails need to be removed first.

If your scrapping the rest as you say cut around the bits you don't want. I find a 1mm disc cutter in an angle grinder is the way to go.

What is a rocker panel in American speak??

Posted: 06-09-2013 08:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
roland11a

Had a look on the interweb and if the Rocker panel is what we call the Sill that runs along the bottom of the doors and wings. again this is all welded on and will be very difficult to get off without damage. All spotwelds will need to be found and Drilled out and any welds ground off. Its a big job and probably not worth it

Posted: 06-09-2013 02:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

The rear fenders also were leaded in, so you maybe missing getting at a pop rivet due to it is under the lead, use some heat to melt the lead away, only the rear of the fender was tack welded and some lead used there if needed.

Brett

Posted: 06-13-2013 04:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
answerman

Again, thanks Brett. As detailed in my other "frustration" post, once I torched the lead (and removed the three bolts under the trunk lip) the fender came right off.

Posted: 06-13-2013 05:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

If your looking to pull the rockers the way I would go about it would be, cut the floors out flush to the tunnel and inner rocker sill, seeing you already have the fenders off and doors, cut the rockers off with the inner sill attached, but cut them just above the small weld lip that you can see in the door opening, gets a bit funky at the ends but not much of anything in that area worth saving.

Keep in mind what your cutting off gives the car structual strenght, so you will need to compensate, hate to see it break in two and fall on you. I'm talking using a saw-z-all, torch's are messy and could heat warp things.

Brett

Posted: 06-13-2013 06:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
answerman

Thanks Brett, that was the answer I was looking for. Yeah, I'm aware that the car will probably fold right up if I don't support it from underneath. Not so much of a worry on the donor car since it's going to be junked anyway, but on Ms. Jenavieve I will be a lot more careful, thinking doing one section at a time (R and R left rocker, then left floorpan, then rinse and repeat on the other side).

Posted: 06-14-2013 01:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Good plan for installing, might want to think about a few stiffners along with it just to keep things were they belong.

Brett

Current time is 08:53 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Fender and rocker panel removal questions Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems