Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > 4-speed Gearshift Linkage Question

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
4-speed Gearshift Linkage Question  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-04-2013 06:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
mcguan.2

A little while back, I was having a lot of difficulty getting the gear shift lever to find gears. It felt like the transmission was moving around and I had to really wrench down on the lever to get it into gear. Well, I found out that it wasn't really the transmission moving, but the whole gearshift linkage was coming off the top of the transmission. So, I tightened all the bolts down and everything was working better than ever. Shifting was super easy.

Then, all of a sudden, I couldn't find any gears. It felt like the shift lever was just floating around in there. I still had the center console removed, so I looked down at the base of the lever and it appeared that nothing was really holding it in place. There was an aluminum-looking disc that was riding up above the screwed down cap (see photo), and it was all bent out of shape, so I'm wondering if it "popped" out from under the cap and should actually be underneath the cap, holding the shift lever in place. If that's the case, I can remove the shift knob, the disc, and the gearbox cap and re-arrange the order. Any help?

Attachment: ShiftLinkage (2).jpg (Downloaded 105 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-05-2013 12:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jim Ketcham

Check the parts manual schematic for the proper order of the pieces. If you do not have one you can see the schematic on Delta Motors on-line catalog. From your pic there seems to be a lot of wear on the grommet cap.

Posted: 06-05-2013 02:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
mcguan.2

Thanks, Jim. My manual only shows a 5-speed schematic, but the one on the Delta site is helpful. It looks as though part #34, the cap, is non-existent. Maybe it broke off due to wear. Would that part be what would keep the shift lever from lifting up out of the top cover? Also, pertaining to the cap grommet, do you know what keeps that in place? Is it just gravity, or is it supposed to be secured on top of the cap somehow?

Posted: 06-05-2013 12:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

looks like your grommet is worn out as well, there is supposed to be a lip on the bottom side of it that fit's around the larger metal washer on the trans.

Brett

Posted: 07-12-2013 09:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
atgparker

I'm in the middle of sorting out 11602's 4 speed box. The longish aluminum frame that caps off the top of the cast iron center of the transmission has a rod in it and three bushings that give it an axial and rotational movement. The gear lever sits in a cup that is cast into this aluminum u-frame. Then on top of the ball like feature of the gear lever is a coil spring, then a steel cup that is upside down (I think that is missing in the picture). The top side of this cup has the spring pushing it upward into a cover that is screwed down into the u-frame casting with 4x #10-32 screws.

These srews had worked loose and seem good candiates for washers with SHCS and 242 blue loctite. The rubber cap (missing on 11602) should fit the edge/lip of the screwed down cover were it is open to allow the throw of the gear lever to move when the shifting is managed.

There is a ball bearing and coil spring seated in a blind hole that is in the end of the gear lever. This ball bearing was missing on my car and is not an easy thing to get the gear lever back into the shifting rod's hole. Which is likely why the cover on the underside of the u-frame is MIA. The rear most sleeve brearing on my u-frame was not in its bore in the u-frame but hanging out on the shifter shaft, doing nothing but occupying some space. Thus the gear lever would vibrate at high frequency when the car was loaded down with hard acceleration in 3rd and 4 gear. J&B welded that into position and have put new seals and gaskets all around as it had about 1 pint of very tired gear oil left in it that hadn't made it to the garage floor just yet! 

Planning to load her up with 2 quarts of 20W50 Castrol GTX, once I get the rope seal replaced on the engine. 

Now "there" is a topic!

You should have seen the inside of the bell housing!

Last edited on 07-12-2013 09:48 pm by atgparker

Current time is 08:22 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > 4-speed Gearshift Linkage Question Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems