Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Oil leak behind distributor housing

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Oil leak behind distributor housing  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-19-2013 02:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
StevenD57

My 1974 JH has had an oil leak around the area of the distributor ever since I got it.

When I converted to the crank-fired ignition and got rid of the distributor I thought that would also have a positive effect on the oil leak but in my case that was not true. BTW, the distributor was replaced with a plug and o-ring Lotus designed for just such a situation. I still had the same oil leak after the ignition conversion. So I then tried replacing the gasket behind the oil cooler adapter with a new one from an oil filter. That had no effect on the problem either.
I get a lot of oil on the block up high on the block just where the distributor would be if I had one.Is there some seals or gaskets on the mating surface of the distributor support housing to oil pump assembly I should look at?

Looking for information on where else common oil leaks occur in this area.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-19-2013 05:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
navy

Hi Steve

I have the same problem!!!!!  At this time I am also looking for solutions for

the oil leak.   This leak has made me older, not wiser.

The crank fire igination worked as designed just great. 

Jim Morris, navy, Las Cruces NM

Posted: 05-21-2013 03:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Automotive shops use fluorescent dye in the motor oil to locate leaks.
After a thorough cleaning,(I like WD40), it should be easy to spot the source with a UV light.
You can get a Tracer Products detection kit with UV flashlight online.

Posted: 07-01-2013 06:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
CoryB

The distributor/oil pump housing also contains the oil pressure relief valve.  The outermost piece of the pressure relief valve is a piston like piece with an o ring on it and held in place by a roll pin.  I would guess that o ring is leaking.  I am trying to determine if it is possible to remove the pressure relief valve with the housing still attached to the engine.  I haven't had a chance to really get into it yet.  There is a very good YouTube video regarding the oil pressure relief vale @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhKCQqUQoLs

Posted: 07-03-2013 02:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Hi Cory,

I took a look at my spare housing and compared it to the one on the engine. The roll pin does face straight up so it may be possible to reach it beneath the intake manifold.

Kurt

Posted: 07-03-2013 02:19 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
StevenD57

I have reached under the distributor drive / oil pump housing and felt there for oil and it seems to be dry so I don't think my oil leak is from the pressure relief valve. I have replaced the gasket between the distributor drive / oil pump housing and the auxiliary housing but that did not seem to do the trick. I think I need to remove the auxiliary housing and replace the gasket between that and the engine block.

Current time is 12:20 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Oil leak behind distributor housing Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems