Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
removing cylinder head  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-09-2013 10:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
StevenD57

If I am trying to remove the cylinder head from a 1974 Jensen-Healey, do I need to remove the  brake booster or anything else so the head will slide off the head studs with the engine still in the car?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-10-2013 05:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jim Ketcham

I can't imagine pulling the head with the engine in the car. I believe you'll find it easier in the long run to pull the engine. It makes proper reassembly much easier, especially shimming the valves.

Posted: 05-11-2013 12:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Arvin Appelman

The head can be removed without removing any peripherals. Be very careful when removing the cam towers so you son't loose any shims. Push the buckets down as you lift the tower to keep the shims trapped on the valve.

Posted: 11-04-2013 07:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
wtberks

I pulled the head and replaced it on my GT without touching the brake booster. It is a little close around the rear most bolts, but nothing really difficult.

Posted: 10-06-2015 06:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Jay

I'm looking at the need to get into the valves. I'm suspecting a burnt valve. Question, do I need to remove the cam towers from the head before I can remove the head from the block? Or, can I just remove the valve covers to access the head bolts and remove the head, cam towers and camshafts as a complete assembly.
I may getting a little ahead of myself, as I need to get a compression check first, but so far I appear to have a dead cylinder. I have spark on the plug. The engine will run on 3 cylinders. Cylinder #2 appears dead.

Posted: 10-06-2015 06:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
wtberks

You must remove the cam towers as them block the head bolts. If you do not have the workshop manual for this engine, you really need to get one. It is not rocket science, but it is a bit different from the other engines I have touched. You will find out things such as not mixing up the shims for the cam. The right way to replace the head and cam towers. Where the timing marks on the cam gears line up.

By the way, I used West Coast Cylinder Heads to rebuild my engine's head, as per a lot of recommendations. They were very good, knew the ins and outs of the 907 head, but were a bit slow. My advantage was that I could drive to their shop during my lunch time.

Last edited on 10-06-2015 06:56 pm by wtberks

Posted: 10-06-2015 07:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Jay

Would anyone have a suggestion on where I could find a workshop manual for the 1974 Lotus 907 engine? I would love to read all about such a project.

Posted: 10-06-2015 07:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
wtberks

You can start here: http://www.deltamotorsports.com/products/pg18a-books-and-manuals.html. There are a number of people on the list who are very knowledgable about this engine. Especially in regards to procedures that were developed after Jensen stopped producing these cars.

Posted: 10-08-2015 04:43 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
rovohn

I found a manual on CD on Ebay,then you can print the pages you need
Cheers,John

Posted: 11-17-2015 10:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Esprit2

Jay wrote:
Would anyone have a suggestion on where I could find a workshop manual for the 1974 Lotus 907 engine? I would love to read all about such a project.Jay,
Go to my Dropbox folder, here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4kxqw9vlsnz54lf/AACCyvB-TfYKLI1qM-e_IUlTa?dl=0

There are some manual PDFs in there, as well as the very helpful Technical Data Section, A (TDA). Also notice the sub-folder titled Jensen-Healey Parts & Tech and browse there as well. In there, notice the files titled "Cylinder Head Gasket - Goetze Composite Installation Instructions.doc", and "Engine Rebuild Data, 4-cyl.xls", and "Cooling - Water Pump - Rebuild - Instructions, 6 pgs.doc". Everything is downloadable.

Regards,
Tim Engel

Last edited on 11-17-2015 10:21 pm by Esprit2

Posted: 11-18-2015 04:43 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Frank Schwartz

Cylinder 2 not firing? Check for a spark.......

Current time is 09:51 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > removing cylinder head Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems