Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Electric windows  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-08-2013 07:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
gmgiltd

One of the issues with the electric window system on the GT is that all the current goes through two small brass contacts which in time wear / arc / oxidise and lose conductivity. Also the wiring is old and was never really up to carrying the current required. My windows have always been a bit sluggish and I have replaced or reconditioned the switches several times. The Interceptors have slightly different switches and have solenoids fitted - have any of you had any experience of 'improving' the standard system on a GT? Nothing worse in a sudden downpour than having the window stick halfway up.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-09-2013 01:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

I have fixed up a couple of GT power window problems in the past with out replacing any parts, 1st by taking the switch's apart and cleaning the contacts, then removing the fuse block and cleaning those contacts and the rest of them, then just oil-ing the the channels that the window slides up and down in, (it's a bit messy at first but really pays of in the long run).

Hope this helps.

Brett

Posted: 05-09-2013 05:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
gmgiltd

Thanks Brett,
That's pretty much what I have been doing - the switch contacts need cleaned up fairly often. I have also replaced the fuses with the modern blade type. Also tried oiling the mechanism and lubricating the window channels with dry silicon. What kind of oil did you use on the window channel? I need to investigate the possibility of using Interceptor type relays as suggested by Martin Robey and was wandering if anyone out there had tried it.
Best regards,
Gordon

Current time is 07:18 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Projects > Electric windows Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems