Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Heater box vacuum valve purpose  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 04-15-2013 05:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Art DeKneef

While rebuilding the heater box from 14539 I needed to replace the small round plastic piece that fits in the hole of one of the control arms on the side. When I looked at the other heater boxes I noticed they had some kind of vacuum valve added to them. Doing some reading here I discovered the valve was added to address excess heat into the cockpit. Good , just what I need to have here in Arizona.

I want to make sure I understand this correctly before I put everything back in the car. Having this vacuum sounds like a good thing. If I don't have a vacuum valve, what is the downside?

Before I decide to take apart the old heater box and use the valve I was wondering what others thought of the benefits and drawbacks.

Thanks, Art

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 04-16-2013 01:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Art, funny you should ask this question just now, I have two heater boxes apart on the bench, one with the vavle and one without. That little valve controls the vacum that runs into the engine compartment and opens and closes the heater valve in the water line. If you dont have the valve in the 5/8" heater hose line then you dont need the vac valve on the heater box. But having no valve in the heater water line gives you heat all the time.

So if you dont want or need the extra heat you can disconnect the heater core, or better yet just put a small manual valve in the line, that way if you should ever need a bit of heat you can just open the valve yourself.

Brett 

Posted: 04-17-2013 03:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Art DeKneef

That's kind of what I thought would need to be done and seems to be the general consensus. Now I need to find a valve I can install. Seems I remember Frank mentioning something about this once and using a Cadillac valve.

Thanks.

Posted: 04-17-2013 04:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
subwoofer

VW used one in the Vanagon for the front heater, shouldn't cost more than 20-25 bucks (unless the US parts prices are insane).

--
Joachim

Posted: 04-18-2013 01:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Joachim, the vanagon does use a 5/8" manual shutoff valve that works very nice on a JH, I put one on a friends JH last year, as for the vacum switch (valve) not sure what would fit in that location it would have to be small, if you come up with something Art please let me know.

Brett

PS, http://www.busdepot.com/171819809emy

$5.44 for the valve.

Current time is 09:29 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Cooling > Heater box vacuum valve purpose Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems