Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Brakes > Inexpensive home-made pressure brake bleeder

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Inexpensive home-made pressure brake bleeder  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-19-2005 04:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Mark Rosenbaum

I ran across a web page describing an inexpensive home-made pressure brake bleeder, which may be of interest.   The address is  http://www.bmw-m.net/TechProc/bleeder.htm  .

I have not built one of these, but the article makes sense.  The only concern I'd have would be how the various plastics involved would interact with a non-silicone brake fluid, as normally only a few materials (such as EP and Viton) will resist the corrosive action of such fluids for prolonged periods.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-20-2005 02:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
StabnSteer

I have done this for my Saab with a bicycle pump, basketball air needle and a stock Saab reservoir cap (which has a nice little hole in the top of it where the needles fits great). I use old brake fluid containers to hold the stuff I bleed as I tend to have quite a few laying around thanks to lots of brake bleeding on race cars. So yep - this idea certainly holds water (or air?) and is much further up the geek scale from my bicycle pump method!

Posted: 06-21-2005 04:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

I've used an English made kit that did the same thing. Despite the fact that it included the correct sized adaptor and rubber seals it always seemed to be leaking somewhere and making a mess. The last thing I need is brake fluid dripping around my car paint. I finally dumped it in the trash and went back to using the one-way bleeders and the rubber tubes which makes brake bleeding an easy one-man job.

Posted: 03-30-2008 04:51 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
pbahr

This is a new answer to an old post, but as Greg indicates, a one-way bleed screw like the "Speed Bleeder" works great on a couple of my cars.  Probably cost less than $25 for a JH set.

Pete Bahr

YELODOG

Posted: 04-02-2008 04:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Jay

I was thinking about getting one of those vacuum pumps (MityVac) to bleed my brakes.

Has anyone used one of those hand held vacuum pumps to suck the fluid toward the bleeders?

Does the pedel need to be depressed somewhat to open valve(s) in the MC?

Would the order of bleeding need to be changed?

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Jay

Posted: 04-02-2008 04:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
pbahr

Jay,

I have and have used the MityVac for bleeding.  Works fine, but the Speed Bleeder is much easier and quicker.  Also no mess to clean up (you do have to clean the MityVac of all the old brake fluid after use).  Speed Bleeder is EASY !

BTW, the MityVac has many other uses, and I find it a handy tool to have around (like checking the Brake Booster for leaks as an example).

Pete Bahr

Posted: 04-05-2008 12:34 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
George

I have tired making a home bleeder and also tried a Mityvac.  All I ever succeed in doing was making quite a mess.  I could never get anything to work.  I have speed bleeders on the JH and like them, for the other cars I enlist the supportive spouse until my daughter is old enough to reach the brake pedal.

Posted: 02-06-2009 02:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Jay

Pete,

Could you recommend a source for the Speed Bleeders? I think that I would like to get some the my JH.

Thanks,
Jay

Posted: 02-06-2009 03:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
pbahr

Hi Jay,

I'm sure that there are many places to purchase them, but I ordered directly from the manufacturer.  They are about $7 each - well worth it IMHO.

SPEED BLEEDER PRODUCTS  1-888-879-7016.  They also have a website: http://speedbleeder.com/

For JH:
  • Front:  SB3824L Q:2
  • Rear:  SB3824 Q:1
While you're at it, you should flush the entire system with  clean fluid before installation.

YELODOG

Posted: 02-09-2009 12:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Jay

YELODOG,
Thanks for the information (and the part numbers). I wasn't sure of the thread sizes. I think I'll order some soon.
Jay

Posted: 02-09-2009 07:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
dwalls1

pbahr wrote:   

SPEED BLEEDER PRODUCTS  1-888-879-7016.  They also have a website: http://speedbleeder.com/

For JH:
  • Front:  SB3824L Q:2
  • Rear:  SB3824 Q:1
   Thanks Pete,        I checked out their website and will probably order some. Would you happen to have the part nos. for my TR7? I realise it's asking a lot and I have other sources for the info, but thought I'd ask. Thanks again, Dale 

Posted: 02-09-2009 07:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
pbahr

Dale,

You could give them a phone call and perhaps they can identify the correct screw from the car make/model.

Or, pull one from the TR-7 and compare to the JH - it might be the same.

Or, get out your calipers/micrometer and measure the diameter and count threads per inch.

The size code is:  3824 = 3/8 inch diameter, and 24 tpi.

Pete

Posted: 03-17-2009 05:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Frank Schwartz

I found that you can buy speed bleeders at most auto supply stores.  I get mine at O"Rielly's here in my home town.  They are packaged in pairs.  Not expensive.
Frank

Posted: 11-22-2013 07:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Jay

If I were to use my Mity Vac to check the booster, how much vacuum would it be expected to hold, and for how long. I don't want to put apply too much vacuum and possibly damage the unit.

Posted: 11-22-2013 08:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Brakes/Servo/Servo.htm

Lots of good info here.

Posted: 11-23-2013 12:37 am
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
pbahr

Jay,

It is impossible to generate more than 14.7 psi with a vacuum pump.

If there are no leaks, you should be able to hold this pressure for hours at least.

YELODOG

Posted: 11-25-2013 01:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
roland11a

Not sure what all the drama is about bleeding brakes. I use a short piece of rubber hose with one end blocked off and a slit cut into it. (same one for 30 years)
Just slacken of the bleed nipple push on the pipe and pump the brake peddle. The slit in the rubber acts as a non-return valve stopping air being drawn back into the system. to catch the old fluid just place an old washing up bowl under the bleed pipe.
Works just as well on modern ABS fitted cars.

In my time messing with old cars the biggest cause of a bad paddle is worn/oversized brake drums

Pat

Last edited on 11-25-2013 07:18 pm by roland11a

Posted: 11-25-2013 03:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
pbahr

Pat,

The hose with the slit is a great idea and as you indicate has been around a very long time.

Was that your invention??????????

YELODOG

Posted: 11-25-2013 07:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
roland11a

Wish I could claim the credit but I can't.

A friend lent me the vacuum pump type bleeding tool recently and while it worked ok on my wifes Renault Cleo it just pulled air past the threads when tried on my Freelander. What was really usefull with the vacuum pump type, was being able to suck all the old fluid out of the reservoir.

Posted: 11-25-2013 09:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
answerman

If you're lazy like me, and have an air compressor and an extra $25, you can't go wrong with this. I will never bleed brakes without it again...

http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-fluid-bleeder-92924.html

Current time is 09:14 am Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Brakes > Inexpensive home-made pressure brake bleeder Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems