Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Metric?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 02-22-2013 07:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
sholdowa

I've just suffered a catastrophic brake failure... Master cylinder needs a rebuild I think. First step was to drain the system, as the fluid is probably 10 years old anyway. Fronts... Np problem. Rears were a different matter, and the bleed nipple sheared off. So, time to replace both rear cylinders, I think.

Didn't have a brake spanner, so tried the best open ended spanner on the brake pipe, to no avail. The manual tells me these fittings are metric. Is this true? Am surprised for a Brit car of this vintage. Can anyone confirm this for me, please?

Also, does anyone have part nos for the wheel cylinders and master rebuild kits? I was going to take them in to be sure.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 02-22-2013 09:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
JodyKerr

In the united states most brake fittings use SAE tools

Posted: 02-22-2013 10:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

The brake fittings fit a 7/16" wrench. A standard open end spanner can distort the flare nut.

Proper brake wrenches have the head angled a bit so you can work around obstructions, a small but good investment.

The Lotus engine is metric except for the drain plug which is 3/4 Whitworth. The rest of the car is SAE.

Posted: 02-23-2013 02:32 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
sholdowa

I ended up using one of those fit all spanners - all teeth and tightens the harder you pull. The manual says 10mm but it's certainly 7/16 AF. Master cylinder is completely different too! It's got 08 646979175 G cast into it. Any idea what it is??

Glad I decided to take the bits down to the motor factors!

Last edited on 02-23-2013 04:33 am by sholdowa

Posted: 02-25-2013 07:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
subwoofer

have you googled the part number?

I got a new master cylinder a few years back, was listed for a Land Rover IIRC. Was about £50.

--
Joachim

Posted: 02-25-2013 07:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
sholdowa

Hi Joachim,

Yes, it was the first thing I did, but no luck. I see a few that will fit... TR6, and a couple of Landy ones. I assume the difference is in the piston sizes, but can find no info on that. Also, as the car has been raced for decades, what changes may have been made anyway!

Brakes are standard apart from this, so am looking to replace a standard MC. As you say, the replacements are below GPB50, but when you add the quoted postage of GBP81, it makes your eyes water a bit!

Am working through Oz Landy sites now...

Cheers,

Steve

Posted: 02-25-2013 09:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
subwoofer

And I thought freight rates from the UK to Norway were bad...

I'll grab the chance while the Pound is weak to get myself a set of front and rear discs from Hispec.

--
Joachim

Posted: 02-28-2013 07:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
gmgiltd

Hi Joachim ,
If you do go the Hispec route there are a couple of catchits. I took my car in there just over a year ago and provided them with a back axle and they measured up everything. Fronts are excellent but the rears took a bit of work with spacers and longer studs and getting the handbrake linkage right. Keep in mind that I am using 15" wheels from the club store so you will need to provide them with the accurate internal dimensions of whatever rims you intend to use. Speak to Alex - very helpfull there.
Gordon

Posted: 03-01-2013 07:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
sholdowa

Availability was zero down here so I'm having the mc rebuilt. $160 + tax for resleeving in stainless and a rebuild.

Current time is 10:18 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Brakes > Metric? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems