Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Lower stance  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-18-2005 04:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
OverdriveGear

Have any of you out there cut the stock springs down or done some modification to make the car sit slightly lower? (I'm not talking about low-rider or anything, just a more agressive stance). If yes, tell me about it.

Last edited on 06-18-2005 04:02 am by OverdriveGear

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-18-2005 02:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Scott Robinson

It has been more than 10 years since I put them in, so I don't recall the exact measurement, but it seems to me that Delta's uprated springs dropped the stance a bit...something like half an inch. I've never been sorry I installed them. Going to 205/60s made a differance too.

Posted: 06-23-2005 09:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
kneff

Did you fit the 205/60's on the original wheels?

Thanks,
Ken

Posted: 06-24-2005 12:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
SportsRodder

I lowered the rear of my Jensen Healey by several inchs.  I have installed 26'' tires and it caused the rear to be rather high.  shorter springs would have been the proper way to go, but hey, the old springs would have to go any way so I did the stupid thing and heated the lower coils to get some drop.  Of course they did not settle evenly so I cut off the coils which had been heated and then constructed a bucket to locate the upper end of the springs and gives  me the option of adding spacers to get whatever ride hight I want.  I now have 1" between the axel and snubber so I will need to add 1/2" to 3/4" spacer to get the desired ride height. With the larger tires and lowered springs the Jensen has a much more aggresive look, but not having driven it yet I can't say how it will ride or handle.   The shorter springs should cause a higher spring rate. 

I don't recommend this way of lowering your Jensen but am reporting that it is one way to go.

Posted: 06-24-2005 02:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Scott Robinson

Yes.  205/60s work fine/look good on stock wheels.  An inch wider wheel would no doubt  be better, but I haven't found any thing as light as the stock wheels after a lot of looking. Some guys even run 215/50s on the stock wheels but I think that's pushing it for sidewall pinch.

Posted: 06-24-2005 05:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Judson Manning

Lowering the front is fairly difficult.  The 'normal' ride height puts the space between the upper arm and the bump stop at roughly 3/4".   Cut a coil and drop the front by 1/2"-1" and you basically have no front suspension.  I've been happy w/ Delta's uprated spring package.

Alternatively, the rear ride height is a little more than 2" from the lower arm to the bump stop. 

The rear can be modified by switching to readily available 2" coil-over type springs available from http://www.afcoracing.com,  eibach, etc.  You just need to fabricate new spring seats out of exhaust tubing.  I believe Ron is using an 8" long spring rated at 250#/in on his ITS car.  For a street car I'd suggest 175#-200# if you can find them.

Current time is 06:01 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Suspension > Lower stance Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems