> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Ignition > Distributor orientation

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Printer Friendly
Distributor orientation  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 02-03-2013 06:42 pm

1st Post
pearst

See pic for my current distributor orientation. Carbs are currently removed and being rebuilt.

There is nothing attached to the vacuum advance hookup. And the way this is situated, there does not seem to be enough room to get a hose on it anyway. It points right at the engine and is just about right up against it. A buddy of mine thought maybe the distributor should be rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise ( and the corresponding plug wire moves to keep the firing order in sequence).

Comments?

Attachment: image.jpg (Downloaded 235 times)

Posted: 02-04-2013 12:40 am

2nd Post
rossjfox

You can spin the body of the distributor any which way you like, as long as you adjust the plug position accordingly. However, the current position is the "normal" way, as it allows easy access to the knurled thumb screw for fine adjustment of the timing.

Posted: 02-04-2013 06:45 pm

3rd Post
James Sohl

The distributor vacuum diaphragm is for retard on overrun.  On the left carburetor, there should be an attached vacuum controlled valve that applies manifold vacuum to the distributor on high vacuum, i.e. overrun.  It is purely an emissions item and the engine will operate fine without the vacuum retard.  It is important to make sure that all overrun vacuum connections are carefully, completely blocked if you remove the plumbing.  I know, I know, most distributors have a vacuum advance, just not all distributors.
Regards, Jim JH sn 11210

Posted: 02-09-2014 11:13 am

4th Post
roland11a

Hi

Hi

Very usefully photo thanks.

Can you tell me which is  plug one position on the distributor cap as I've forgotten due to having my engines stripped down for re-build, getting on for 3 years. I'm just setting up the cam belt timing and it's a good time to get it right.

Thanks R

Posted: 02-09-2014 01:57 pm

5th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

That would be were the dizzy rotor is pointing to inside the cap when the #1 piston is at TDC the crank timing mark is aligned and the cam pulleys are lined up as well.

Brett.

Posted: 02-10-2014 07:00 am

6th Post
roland11a

Thanks
Is Number One the bottom left as you look at the cap. I've got no leads on as yet?

Posted: 02-10-2014 12:56 pm

7th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Whever the rotor arm is pointing to on the cap when the engine is setup on the timing marks, that is the number one cylinder and you put your #! plug wire on it.

Posted: 02-10-2014 10:00 pm

8th Post
roland11a

Hi
Due to the engine being completely apart and rebuilt with a replacement block, the timing has got to be reset from scratch, The two cam sprockets are no problem as the timing marks are present. however the oil pump sprocket has 5 key ways cut into it and is also marked up IN EX. So when the cams sprockets are set for No 1 TDC (IN EX dots aligned) and the bottom pulley is at the TDC position on the timing marks (confirmed with No 1 piston TDC with dial gauge) The distributor drive has to be set to put the rota arm pointing to No 1 on the dissy cap. I've chosen to have the No 1 lead off the dissy cap at bottom left. Just wanted to confirm was the original position even though its not critical.

Picture off the Net not mine.

Thanks R

Attachment: Distributor.jpg (Downloaded 130 times)

Last edited on 02-10-2014 10:00 pm by roland11a

Current time is 01:48 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Ignition > Distributor orientation Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems