Moderated by: Greg Fletcher Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Rear spring assemblies  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 11-30-2014 01:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
Eric

So have rear suspension disassembled. Lower control arm bushings came out with hacksaw technique described earlier. Do I use the same method to remove the bushing at the differential end of the UPPER control arm? Not sure I can get a drill up in that tight space. Anybody try a bushing puller?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 12-02-2015 11:43 am
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
stevegarnjobst

Question - which Vauxhall Viva HB manual would you recommend? There are a number of options available cheaply through Amazon.

I'm reluctant to order the Haynes manual, as the item displays a photo of a Datsun Bluebird manual on both the US and UK Amazon sites:
http://www.amazon.com/Vauxhall-Viva-Owners-Workshop-Manual/dp/0900550260

Other options on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vauxhall-No-100-Olyslager-Motor-Manuals/dp/0171601009/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449059590&sr=8-1&keywords=vauxhall+viva+hb+manual

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vauxhall-1966-70-Autobook-autobook-workshop/dp/0851471919/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1449059590&sr=8-5&keywords=vauxhall+viva+hb+manual

This one seemed interesting, since all I really care about is the suspension & steering:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Suspension-Steering-Vauxhall-Service-Training/dp/B00E9BCOYG/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1449059590&sr=8-11&keywords=vauxhall+viva+hb+manual

Recommendations on which one to get?

Thanks!

-Steve

Posted: 12-02-2015 01:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

I have the Haynes book and it has a lot of good info in it, make speak for the others. I have to say the one I have does not have a picture of a Datsun on the cover ???

Posted: 12-02-2015 01:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
stevegarnjobst

Brett Gibson JH5 20497 wrote:
I have the Haynes book and it has a lot of good info in it, make speak for the others. I have to say the one I have does not have a picture of a Datsun on the cover ???
That's what worries me. Maybe there's an error in Amazon's ISBN database? I'll lob a question to on of the vendors to have them verify

Posted: 12-02-2015 01:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
stevegarnjobst

This seems like a good thread to ask a question I have about the rear spring assemblies. I'm planning to convert from the stock springs to higher rate 2.5" coil springs. I'll also be installing some adjustable spring perches to permit ride height adjustment.

My question is this: the J-H uses coil spring retainers both top & bottom on the stock springs. Is it possible to run without retainers on the springs, as is common practice on many vehicles? Or, is there sufficient droop in the J-H suspension to require retainers to keep the springs in place and limit droop? I know others have converted to standard coil springs - how did you address this issue? Does adding a rear swaybar reduce the need for spring retainers by limiting droop?

Thanks!

-Steve

p.s. Here's a photo of the spring perches I'm using. They're for a VW Golf, and bolt right onto the J-H rear lower arms.

Last edited on 12-02-2015 01:35 pm by stevegarnjobst

Posted: 12-02-2015 03:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

I'm not quite getting what you are trying to describe, I do have a few photo's of the rear springs in and out along with the hardware, plus a scan of the Haynes book for that page, if that interests you send me a PM with your e-mail.

Last edited on 12-02-2015 03:37 pm by Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Posted: 12-02-2015 04:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
answerman

Watching this thread with interest since I am pulling Ms. J's front suspension at a minimum within the next few weeks. I did an ISBN check and both the numbers at the Amazon link do in fact list the book as the Haynes Vauxhall Viva HB book, so I took the $6 plunge and ordered a used copy. I'll let you know if it's the right book when it gets here (otherwise I guess I'll be trolling the Datsun forums to unload it).

Posted: 12-02-2015 04:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
stevegarnjobst

Brett Gibson JH5 20497 wrote:
I'm not quite getting what you are trying to describe, I do have a few photo's of the rear springs in and out along with the hardware, plus a scan of the Haynes book for that page, if that interests you send me a PM with your e-mail.

So, the springs in the J-H have a retainer that clamps the end of the spring to the lower trailing arm and the chassis. In a number of modern vehicles, the rear springs are simply sitting loose in the spring seats. My question is whether J-H secured the springs specifically to utilize the springs as suspension travel limiters. The suspension doesn't include limiting straps or other locating arms that limit travel. So, is it safe to run the springs "loose" without fear they'll become dislodged if one side of the rear suspension droops too far? Does a swaybar help the situation by limiting droop?

Posted: 12-02-2015 10:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
Jim Picot

Steve, re the manuals, I would think any Vauxhall Viva HB or even HC manual (as far as I can tell) would be fine - I have both and the suspension for both models is the same for the JH. Note, the rear axle is HC, so it might be worth having that one. I have both Haynes manuals.

The Vauxhall training manual sounds interesting - it might have a bit more information than the standard Haynes manual.

I would guess the picture of the Datsun manual is simply an error, or they just used a stock pic to illustrate it. I would think if they sent you a Datsun manual they should replace it FOC!

I wouldn't have thought you could remove the spring retainers without causing problems - they locate the springs on the lower arms and would need something to secure them. Not sure what you mean by "I know others have converted to standard coil springs" - the JH springs are standard coil springs? But I'm intrigued by your idea of using adjustable spring perches if they effectively replace the retainers. I still have my problem with the uneven ride height on mine (30 mm low on drivers side at front, about 20 mm at the back), despite putting in all-new everything.

How would you propose to use them - you might need to fabricate some kind of locator to keep the spring correctly positioned?

Posted: 12-02-2015 11:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
stevegarnjobst

Jim Picot wrote:
...I wouldn't have thought you could remove the spring retainers without causing problems - they locate the springs on the lower arms and would need something to secure them. Not sure what you mean by "I know others have converted to standard coil springs" - the JH springs are standard coil springs? But I'm intrigued by your idea of using adjustable spring perches if they effectively replace the retainers. I still have my problem with the uneven ride height on mine (30 mm low on drivers side at front, about 20 mm at the back), despite putting in all-new everything.

How would you propose to use them - you might need to fabricate some kind of locator to keep the spring correctly positioned?

If you look at the photo of the adjuster I posted, that acts as a spring locator, as the spring sits around the tube. At the other end, I was planning to use a commonly available spring seat, which includes a central locating tube. There are a number of cars that use such spring seats to locate the springs with no clamps like those used on the J-H.

When I say "standard" spring, I'm referring to 2.25" or 2.5" racing springs, as comminly used on coilover systems. They're inexpensive and available in a wide range of spring rates and lengths. I've read at least 2 or three threads where other J-H owners have converted their rear springs in a similar fashion. I'm just trying to determine whether I should worry about securing the springs or if the adjuster/locator will be sufficient.

Posted: 01-06-2016 08:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
answerman

Just a follow up. I did receive the Haynes Vauxhall Viva HB manual I ordered from Amazon last week, and contrary to the cover picture of a Datsun manual, it is definitely the Vauxhall manual. Just in case anyone was worried about it.

Posted: 01-07-2016 08:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
Jim Picot

Oh, good. I was worried you might end up making some horrible Jensen-Datsub hybrid!

Posted: 01-07-2016 04:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
answerman

laughs... that would be an interesting Frankenhealey! No, it's definitely the right manual. If anyone else wants to order it from the Amazon link above, you can rest assured you'll get the right one.

Posted: 10-24-2016 07:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
34th Post
little red

Just changed the rear shocks and springs on little red. Got them from Greg. They look great but as everyone said took a while to peen the bush but came out ok with a little force. If anyone gets the bilstein shocks for the rear look for the hex key opening on the top of the shaft where the lock nut goes. Took me a while to figure out how to hold the shaft so it would not turn while tightening. The hex key works better than the old style of a square top for vice grip. Off I go for a test ride. Tomorrow I start the front.

Posted: 10-24-2016 11:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
35th Post
little red

Just back from a 50 mile run. It was like riding on a firm marshmallow cloud. What a difference. Thank you Greg. Can't wait to start the front tomorrow morning.

Posted: 01-21-2017 11:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
36th Post
Screenplay

I just received new rear springs for 18341 and am installing them. I have a question about the steel peened bushing/retainer that holds the mounts and rubber insulator together at the top of these springs. Is it really necessary? The bolt that fastens the spring to the underbody pulls it all together upon tightening, so what is the purpose of the peened bush? I've done this before but it was a real pain and took a long time. I'm wondering if perhaps this peened bush was originally there to facilitate assembly line production. I'd like to do it correctly and will take the time to do it right, but I have to wonder about its necessity.

Clinton

Posted: 01-22-2017 12:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
37th Post
little red

Peening the bush was pretty easy. I used two needle nose vice grips to hold the upper and lower brackets with the rubber in the middle. One at 12 o'clock and one at 6. With everything held tight and propped against a solid metal rod it was easy to use the ball end of the ball peen hammer against the bush and smack it hard two to three times with a five pound hammer. It came out good. Took about five minutes to set it all up and peen the bush. Don't know if it is necessary but it does hold everything in place for installation. I just did not want any rear end squeaks when the installation was finished.

Current time is 10:24 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Suspension > Rear spring assemblies Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems