Home 
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Suspension > Suspension lock nuts

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
Jim Picot

I'm in the process of pulling down my front suspension, and have noticed a number of metal lock nuts are used - the "split beam" type.

Are these re-usable? If not, are nyloc nuts an adequate replacement? I notice that a lot of suspension upgrade kits for different cars supply nylocs with the mounting bolts, but are these suitable on a road car where they are not likely to be touched for years, as opposed to a race/performance cars where they are removed and replaced (with new) on a regular basis?

And what torque values should I use on nylocs? Are they different to the torques shown in the manual for, I presume, metal lock nuts?

Personally, I'd rather use all-new hardware to go with the all-new everything else (springs/dampers/bushes/ball-joints/re-painted components), but metal-thread lock nuts are hard to get in individual quantities - suppliers (at least here in Australia) only want to sell you packs of 10 or more.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Hi Jim,

Nyloc nuts are not strong enough for use in the suspension. The suspension parts are at least grade 5.

Just clean and re-use the split washers and original nuts. Put a drop of Locktite on them if you're concerned.

Nothing has fallen off my car since I went through the suspension 8 years ago. ;)

Kurt

Jim Picot

Hi Kurt, thanks for your thoughts.

I can get Grade 8 nylocs, so I am not concerned about the nut's strength. I can't re-use the originals as I had to destroy some that were corroded to the bolt, and those I didn't ruin look as though they have deformed on removal and won't lock again. There were no split washers fitted, just flat washers and the metal lock nuts. If I could easily get new all-metal locknuts I's happily fit them, but it seems that nylocs are very commonly used on suspensions components.

Your tip to use some loctite is a good one though, I will do that.

Thanks, Jim

Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

If you can get grade 8 nylocks they will certainly do the job!

I once pulled apart the engine of a MGTC and found the hardware store nylocks on the rods were loose. They were safety wired on... backwards, so they couldn't get any tighter. Yikes!

Jim Picot

Kurt, which Loctite did you use? Did you apply it to the threads prior to assembly, or the top of the nut afterwards?

Jim

Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

I usually apply one or two drops of Locktite Blue to the bolt and then install the nut.

Jim Picot

Thanks, I reckon Grade 8 nylocs with some loctite should do the trick!

Jim Ketcham

Metal expansion locknuts are available from mcmaster-Carr.
That said, nylock grade 8 are stronger than original. Surprisingly, the original are only grade 5.

Jim Picot

Thanks Jim, but I'm in Australia - freight would be prohibitive!

I can get the flexloc style nuts here, but only in box lots - way too many.

I think the Grade 8 nylocs + loctite will be the solution.

Jim Picot

Post-script:

I was able to get the correct metalock-type nuts (called clevelock) from Martin Robey in the UK at very reasonable prices, so will use these.

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems