Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Starter running via the Ghost of Lucas?

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Starter running via the Ghost of Lucas?  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 10-05-2012 06:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
answerman

Hey everyone... here's a weird one.  Ms. Jenavieve has done this three times in the past few days.  It only happens once, and only when starting for the first time of the day.

Steps: Put key in ignition.  Turn to start position.  Starter spins and turns the engine.  Engine doesn't start because she never starts on the first try.  So far so good, right?

Here's where it gets weird.  Release key to on position.  Starter continues to turn.  Even if I turn the key to lock and remove the key!  After about 10 seconds she stops turning over.  From there, it's business as usual... try to start again and she works normally.

Scratching my head on this one.  Sticking solenoid maybe?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 10-05-2012 07:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
MikeIsotech

Sounds like a sticking solenoid to me. Try tapping it with the wooden handle of a hammer. That works on the rare occasion that my car does it.

Posted: 10-05-2012 07:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
sholdowa

Probably. Luckily they're easy to remove and pretty simple to strip and clean up. A sharp tap with a hammer whilst it's misbehaving should clinch it.

Posted: 10-09-2012 06:41 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
answerman

Did a little testing... removed the wire from the solenoid terminal (the one coming from the ignition switch) and had my boy turn the key while I had my Fluke on the wire. Start position - 12v. Any other position - 0v. Looks like it's time to repair/replace the solenoid.

Posted: 08-12-2013 08:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
answerman

Took a drive this weekend with the local British car club, and Ms. J's starter is acting up again. Solenoid is definitely sticking. I think it's time to do something about it.

I've read a lot here about the gear reduction starters... any reason I shouldn't go that route? I assume this will be the last starter I put in her, so the ~$190 investment doesn't seem too bad. Also, is it a direct bolt-in/plug-in, or do I have to wire things differently?

Posted: 08-14-2013 01:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
dwalls1

I fooled with the Lucas starter for several years and finally got fed up and installed the geared unit. Should have done it sooner. Pretty much a direct swap. The seller can probably answer any questions you might have.

Posted: 08-14-2013 04:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
answerman

Thanks Dale. I went ahead and ordered it from Custom Spares, it will be here on Friday according to UPS. Just another bump in the road...

Posted: 08-15-2013 08:25 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
MikeIsotech

I had problems with the solenoid sticking plus the starter quickly pulled the battery down. I had to trickle charge it constantly to be sure it was fully charged when I tried to start the car. I nearly bought a new battery before I realised it was the starter that was the problem. I bought a gear-reduction starter and it's brilliant - now problems starting after weeks of not being charged. It spins the engine faster so hot starts are way easier. They draw almost half the current of the original unit. They do sound a little different. A recommended upgrade from here.

Mike

Posted: 08-17-2013 06:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
answerman

New starter arrived today. A bit fiddly (had to loosen the two Allen screws holding the mounting plate and rotate it a bit so it would fit right, and a bit of wiring) but wow, what a difference.   Spins nice and actually starts faster.

For those of you who have installed the gear reduction starter and still have the stock ignition... what did you do with the wire to the ballast resistor?  White/yellow if I remember right.   I believe it's there to provide a full 12v to the coil for cold starts, but I left it off and had no problem starting Ms. J up.

Anyway, seems to be a huge improvement.  One more thing off the list.

Last edited on 08-17-2013 07:57 am by answerman

Posted: 08-17-2013 06:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Art DeKneef

According to the wiring diagram.

There is a white/yellow wire from the starter to the coil. Then from there a white/yellow wire goes to the ballast resistor. On the other side of the ballast resistor is a white wire that goes to the #2 in the engine harness junction 5-way socket. That wire continues to #3 in the Instrument Panel 5-way socket (clear) that then continues to the tach.

Does the tach still work?

Posted: 08-17-2013 10:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Jim Ketcham

Answerman is correct. The yellow/white wire provides 12v to coil bypassing ballast resistor only when starter solenoid is engaged, otherwise power comes from tach thru ballast resistor to coil. Tach will work fine without this y/w connected to starter solenoid. For those people not using an external ballast resistor this connection is not needed. As a matter of fact, for those using a Pertronix system connecting this will often pin the tach during starting.

Posted: 08-18-2013 01:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Art DeKneef

This is certainly timely as I am working on this in the garage now. Trying to wire up a Pertronix distributor along with the Flamethrower coil with 3.0 ohms marked on the coil. The guy I got the car from ripped out the engine wiring harness trying to put a 4-cylinder SVO Ford engine in.

Jim, just so I completely understand what you said. The white/yellow wire from the starter solenoid to the coil is not needed and can be removed. Or are you talking about the white/yellow wire that should go from the ballast resistor to the + plus side of the coil?

If the second, that means that the white wire from the wiring harness socket can be connected to the + plus side of the coil.

I have the red wire from the Pertronix distributor going to the + plus side on the coil and the black wire going to the - negative side of the coil.

Posted: 08-18-2013 11:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
subwoofer

Just a small heads up: I think the Flamethrower is a 12V coil, so you shouldn't have a ballast resistor in the circuit. I run a Lucas Sport Coil with a Pertronix II and no ballast.

--
Joachim

Posted: 08-18-2013 01:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Jim Ketcham

Art,
Your coil has an internal 3 ohm resistor and does not require the external ballast resistor. Therefore, the wire from the tach (white/slate) should go directly to the coil + to power the coil. Your Petronix red to coil +. Your Petronix black to coil -. The external ballast resistor not used. The white/yellow from the starter solenoid not used.

I hope this helps.
Jim

Posted: 08-18-2013 06:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Art DeKneef

I figured that I wouldn't need the external ballast resistor since it was included in the Flamethrower coil. It wasn't even present in this car.

Jim, Thanks for the clarification. That's how I thought it should be wired based on the wiring diagram and your comments. The white/yellow wire made it sound a little confusing to me. Can you tell that car electrical wiring with this car isn't one of my strong skills?

For all the time I have spent on cleaning, tracing and fixing this wiring harness I could of started from scratch and rewired the car and be finish with the time I have spent so far. The final test will come when I connect the battery and start pushing switches. 

Posted: 08-18-2013 11:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
answerman

Interesting information so far, but apparently my original question got lost.

With the stock ignition and coil, how vital is the direct 12 v feed to the ballast resistor bypass? As I said, she seems to start just fine without it connected. Because the new starter doesn't have a dedicated contact for it, the only way I could see would be to connect it to the load side of the solenoid (the actual starter motor connection). That seems like it would accomplish the same thing.

For whatever its worth, I do have an electrical background so please feel free to get technical.

Last edited on 08-18-2013 11:54 pm by answerman

Posted: 08-18-2013 11:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
answerman

Hey, that's 100 posts for me. Do I get a badge or something?

Posted: 08-19-2013 05:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
answerman

I suppose there are two ways to actually connect it: (1) to the load side of the solenoid, the contact feeding the starter motor, or (2) the feed from the ignition switch (the one that actually energizes the solenoid). Both would accomplish the same task of feeding 12v to the coil only when the starter is actually engaged. Thoughts? Again, I'm not sure how necessary the 12v to the coil even is since it seems to be starting fine. To summarize, stock coil and points, new gear reduction starter.

And btw the tach has never worked, but I've isolated it to a bad tach and will be converting it over to RVC specs at some point. The tach-related wiring is fine.

Posted: 08-19-2013 06:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
sholdowa

The 12 volt feed is only really necessary when it gets cold and the voltage drop on cranking increases.

Posted: 08-19-2013 07:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
answerman

OK. Cold starts aren't much of an issue since she gets parked for the winter.

Am I correct in surmising that the Lucas Sport Coil from the club store doesn't require a ballast resistor, and as such would eliminate this issue completely? I saw a reference from Joachim that he doesn't run his with a ballast.

Current time is 08:22 pm Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Starter running via the Ghost of Lucas? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems