Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Mystery Hose  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 08-30-2012 04:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Jay

Can anyone tell me the purpose of the hose that appears to be connected to the rear axle housing and runs up into the body, in the area of the gas tank? At this time I am only curious. (See photo.)

Attachment: DSCF0913(reduced).JPG (Downloaded 152 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 08-31-2012 12:12 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Hi Jay,

There is a vent on the top of the axle housing. I have seen a small device that keeps water out but allows airflow, #3 in the Delta diagram. On another axle just an n shaped hose was attached to do the job.

Does the axle vent into the gas tank???

Kurt

Posted: 08-31-2012 02:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Art DeKneef

That hose is in the wrong place as it doesn't attach there. On two of my cars that hose is shorter and just terminates to the air. It is suppose to be some kind of vent line. The other car the hose is missing.

That area of the rear axle is where a breather vent is suppose to be. The vent on one of my cars is metal with a flared end. Be careful when removing the hose. I think whatever holds that vent in place will have weaken over the years. One car has the vent, the other two do not. There is just a hole in the axle housing. It's on my list of things that need fixing and a replacement being found.

Art

Posted: 03-19-2020 06:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Ralph H

Hi All REVIVING AN OLD POST What is the current thinking on the vent hose going from the rear axle up into the trunk space. My setup (original) is just like the photo shown on this thread. I am going to drop the axle out to R&R the suspension bushings and give it a lick of paint so this needs to be removed. Obviously it is needed but Should it be replaced as original or can it terminate in a fitting of some sort.

Thanks for any input Ralph

Posted: 03-20-2020 09:40 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
NigelK

Hi Ralph

I think this is the J-H5 and GT set-up - an axle breather hose vents to the inside of the chassis rail above the axle. Also found on the Vauxhall Viva HC. Presumably it was intended to keep water from entering into the breather hose. It would at the same time have applied any vented oil/vapour to the inside of the chassis rail, reducing corrosion risk! In the J-H 4-speed parts manual the hose is not shown and instead there is a simple vent (Jensen part number 93802), presumably a plastic one way valve screwed into the breather hole in the axle.

Best wishes,
Nigel

Last edited on 03-20-2020 03:20 pm by NigelK

Current time is 12:09 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Suspension > Mystery Hose Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems