Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
5 Speed in 4 Speed Car  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-13-2005 10:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Ron Earp

I've a question - how do the transmission mounts differ in 4 and 5 speed cars? Were there different places on the body for the crossmember studs?

I've got a 5 speed in my car, originally a 4 speed car. The engine it in the car and everything seems right. But, the crossmember *seems* like it is 4 inches too far back to mount up with the studs correctly. There is no way the engine/tranny is coming forward 4 inches, plus, it seems right as is.

Also, anyone have any photos on how the shifter piece on the 5 speed is held in place so it doesn't flop up and down? I assume a bolt through the tunnel and through the shifter will fix it, but I'd like to see the factory solution.

Thanks much!!!

Ron

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-14-2005 03:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Judson Manning

Ron, I'm not sure about the the x-member mounting...something doesn't sound right...hmmmm

The 5sp shifter in a 4sp car requires a mounting hole to be drilled just behind the 'big' transmission shifter hole.  There is a mount that resembles a small 907 engine mount that sandwiches between the end of the shifter and the new hole you have to drill in the tunnel.

Posted: 06-14-2005 03:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Ron Earp

Doesn't sound right to me either. 

But, as you know, mounts on the engine go one way and it all "looks" right:

*engine stay lines up perfectly with mount on firewall

*headers/steering shaft work perfectly

*Engine sits back to firewall with about 1/2 clearance

So it seems just fine. Are 4 and 5 speed crossmembers different?

I will try and get some photos tonight while working on it. 

Posted: 06-21-2005 07:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
pbahr

Ron,

I did this conversion to YELODOG last year.

The Tranny mount Crossmembers are the same.

This Tranny mounting Plate that goes under the tunnel must be moved.  Four inches forward sounds like the right amount.

There is a Bushing which must be installed at the rear of the Shifter Assy.  This is a round rubber-center item with male screw threads on each end - kinda like the Engine Mount, but smaller.  It requires some filing on the Shifter to get the correct angle, and drilling a hole in the cabin side of the tunnel as Judson indicated.  Wish I had photos, but I dont.  This bushing keeps the Shifter Knob from "flopping".

If you need more info, email me off-line, and probably talk on the phone. 

Current time is 01:33 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > 5 Speed in 4 Speed Car Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems