Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Horn, headlights blinkers repaired

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Horn, headlights blinkers repaired  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 08-14-2012 04:13 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
h2oman

For once, I'm not asking for help. By reading the excellent posts by others that went before me, I now have functioning horn, headlights and blinkers. I finally gave up on my old switch which had a broken clamp that I repaired and a weak spring so it would randomly signal left turns. When I found that the horn button was also dead, I replaced it. I bought a new late model MGB switch and did the mods to the plastic cancellation framus, and the wire swaps. Works like a champ. John Kimbro's diagrams helped with the diagnosis. I am a big fan of soldering and shrink tubing so I repaired a bunch of botched (buggered?) splices from the p.o. I also put in relays for hi-low and horn. If anyone needs details on how to do this, I can provide it. Bright lights and loud horn! I only have a single horn. Are there supposed to be two? If so, I have a spare high tone if someone wants to trade for a low tone (if it exists).

Time to put the hood on and take it to the exhaust guy for some welding!
Bob Waterman

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 08-15-2012 01:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Yep there are supposed to be two horns, one high and one low.

Posted: 10-14-2012 11:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
h2oman

Since there have been requests, I have posted the wiring diagram for Headlight wiring with relays. I used John Kimbro's excellent diagram #10 and modified it for relay use (hope that is ok). I used standard automotive 5 pin SPDT relays rated at 40A at 12V. If needed, I can post pictures of the setup.

I chose to pull power directly from the battery +12 terminal since I had an unused wire there anyway. I put in an inline fuse, and ran the power down the RH (passenger) fender under the hood. Relays are mounted near the overflow tank by the radiator as others have done. It would have been cleaner to route everything across the firewall to the drivers side where wiring already runs up to the front of the vehicle, but I went the shortest route since my car is a driver, not a show car. I could shoot pictures if anyone wants to see it.

Attachment: Headlight wiring.JPG (Downloaded 201 times)

Posted: 10-15-2012 12:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
JodyKerr

Looks like good stuff.

Another nice little tip to add to the pile here. You can get an aftermarket heallight wiring harness from Victoria British which has all the relays and such already in place. From there you simply wire it up to the car. It comes with directions.

To add in horns or other items (blinkers, etc). just use multiple harnesses.

Posted: 10-18-2012 11:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
DDrake

How did you get Johns diagrams? I haven't been able to get back to his site for sometime now .
I used his  front end rebuild notes  and his wiring plans which made ,my life a lot easier .

Posted: 10-19-2012 12:41 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Gary Martin JH 15371

I have John's diagrams on a CD. He gave them to me when I bought his totaled JH a few years ago. If someone wants to post them on the web somplece so others can access them let me know. Or maybe Greg can put them on the JHPS site someplace.

Gary

Posted: 10-19-2012 01:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
DDrake

I would think ,or at least hope they could be put up on the Jensen photo alblum .
I have no idea how to go about that but it would seem to be the logical place .
As long as John gets lots of credit for his work
Please do if you have the time

Posted: 10-19-2012 02:12 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
h2oman

John's electrical diagrams are already on the club site at http://www.jensenhealey.com/members/archive/electrical/index.html Only members can access this using a password.

Once I saw an article he wrote on adding relays, but have not relocated that material so I recreated something similar to what he did.

It would be excellent if John's other materials could be made available to the club.

Bob

Posted: 10-19-2012 04:24 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
JodyKerr

If John's information can be located I'll be happy to host it on my web site.

Posted: 09-26-2013 07:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Bogie07

Could you please do that? The diagrams would be very helpful for figuring out the confusing bits of the wiring I'm doing right now.

Current time is 04:09 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Horn, headlights blinkers repaired Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems