New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Replacing Headers  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 08-10-2012 10:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Have pity dear friends, I am suffering with the cursed task of replacing header that broke during the West Coast Nationals. I'm planning on driving to the Monterey Historic races next weekend and hopefully on the California Melee in September so it was time to get dirty.

The stock header is 39 years old and had broken before the 2nd Y-pipe. The surrounding metal was cracked making welding out of the question. After 3 hours of pain, suffering, and cutting with a Sawsall it succumbed and now resides in an old milk crate.

The replacement is a used 4 into 1 that was purchased from the Marketplace. After prep and a high temp white paint job, I wrestled it into place. It is temporarily secured but I'm still waiting for some 8mm 12 hex copper nuts and a 3 1/2 x 18" glasspack resonator to arrive.

It's almost time to tackle the steering shaft replacement.

As you sit at your computers in comfort and enjoy your vino, remember those who are suffering.

I'm running out of vino glasses to rate this thankless task.

Kurt Housh

JH 13148

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 08-11-2012 03:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Art DeKneef

I feel your suffering. Maybe we can modify the scale so that after 5 glasses it goes to bottles. Six glasses equals 1 bottle. So we can rate this exercise as a 2 bottle job.

Having done this change before and getting ready to put the engine/trans from my current restoration into the new project in a few weeks I'm not particularly looking forward to it as the new project is outside and it is hot here in Mesa, AZ. But it's not a dry heat this time of the year.

So I need to fit the engine/trans, hook everything up and install a new exhaust system. Oh yeah, also install the interior including new carpets.

Art

74 JH 14539 - new project car and test bed

Posted: 08-11-2012 04:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
wtberks

Worse than putting headers onto a Jensen Healey is putting headers onto a Jensen GT. At least you don't have those dreadful air injectors getting into your way as well as that awful air pump.

I have had to do this more than once because my car came, not only with the 4 into 1 headers, it also had the optional stripped exhaust studs.

Posted: 08-11-2012 06:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
pbahr

Kurt,

It's a labor of love, but only one person is moaning..........

YELODOG

Posted: 08-12-2012 10:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

The header is installed! The 12mm washer head on the copper locknuts really helps ease the access. A socket on a wobble can be used on many of them.

I added the obligatory 1/8" shim under the motor mount so the steering knuckle would clear the #1 tube. I also shaved the corner off of the nut which was the contact point before shimming. There's now 5/16" clearance.

My glasspack is stuck on a slow FedEx truck in Kansas so I won't be moaning about the noise for several days!

Kurt

Current time is 10:07 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Replacing Headers Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems