Home 
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Wheels > Pad in Differential

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Well I have got around to going over the rear differential of the car I'm restoring, thought I would change the oil in it check the brakes and bearings etc. when I took the cover off to let the oil drian I noticed a felt pad cliped in the bottom of the housing, this is the second time I bumped into this pad the first time was on my other car a 1975 JH5, this car is a 74.

Does anyone know why the factory saw fit to install this item ???.

On my 75 I removed it and have had no issue's over the years, but now it has got me wondering just why in the first place it is even there and should I put the pad back into the 75.

Anyone have an idea ???

Thanks Brett.

Art DeKneef

I have seen the pad also. I thought it was to catch any filings or other debris that might end up in the fluid. Something like from not properly cleaning the hole before you put fluid back in or having the plug dirty when reinstalling.

The last differential I cleaned up and rebuilt I think I remember seeing some bits of something on the pad when I cleaned it.

At the time Delta didn't have replacement pieces so I just cleaned it and put in back in. Thought of trying to find a replacement but forgot about it until your post here.

Art

Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Art, thanks for the reply, last time I tried to clean up the pad as well but it was filthy and just kept oozing ugly colors out so I decided against it, if it's just to catch dirt then maybe I will do without agian.

Cheers, Brett

Paul Koehler

I let the pad soak in MINERAL SPIRITS for several hours, and then kept washing in DAWN dishwashing detergent until all the funk was gone. Then let it drip dry thoroughly on the line outside and re-oiled in new gear oil and put it back in. I did not wear a safty mask or gloves and did not call the EPA to tell them about washing out in the sink. Do you think my hair will fall out?!

Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Paul, I'l give that a try nothing to lose but I will use a mask and gloves, not sure if you have looked in the mirror lately but you have now become follically challenged, sorry to tell you bud.

Brett

Davidsl95

What oil is recommended with this car?

Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Rear end 90 gear oil. engine 20-50

Davidsl95

20w-50 is for the motor oil. Is it the same for the differential? Rear end 90... I'm not sure what you mean by that. I'm in no way a genius when it comes to cars.. I'm just learning. Do you mean something like 75w-90 gear oil?

Brett Gibson JH5 20497

yes 75-90 gear oil in the rear end, some people use it in the transmission as well, me for one (4 or 5 speed), then some poeple use the engine oil 20-50 in the trans. personally I dont worked around power transmission gearboxes to long to go that light a wieght.

Brett

Last edited on 10-06-2014 05:22 pm by Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Google up motor oil gear oil viscosity equivalents. Those oils are the about same viscosity.

The sulfur in the gear oil eats the brass synchronizers IIRC.

Frank Schwartz

Do you mean the 90 wt oil eating the synchros in a 4 speed or 5 speed? The factory states that 20W50 is to be used in the gear box of the 4 speed (transmission)...and the 90W in the rear end...and on the 5 speed, the factory says 90W in the gear box (transmission) and the same in the rear end...so do I understand you are saying the 90W oil in the 5 speed eats the synchros? Obviously, I am a bit confused....

Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Hi Frank,

Most gear oils contain sulfur. It is a great high pressure additive where no brass or copper parts are present.

In our 4 speed transmissions, the syncro rings are brass. The recommended oil is 20-50 motor oil which has no sulfur.

Viscosity ratings are different for motor oils and gear oils. 20-50 motor oil has about the same viscosity as 75-90 gear oil.

http://www.kewengineering.co.uk/Auto_oils/oil_viscosity_explained.htm
Scroll down to table 5 and compare.

Kurt

Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

In the Getrag 5 speed transmission make sure to use a gear oil that is rated GL-4, NOT GL-5.

There is much discussion on the subject on the BMW forums.

Gary Martin JH 15371

Oh shoot, I just changed the gear oil in my BMW E30 Getrag 5 speed with GL-5, as the parts store did not have any GL-4. I need to check this out.

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems