Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Timing  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-06-2012 12:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
jarnol123

I put the timing light on and saw that my timing is far advanced at idle, ie it's before the "check" marks , ie it's more than 40 btdc. How do i adjust it back to 10 btdc? i tried just moving the spark plug leads one place further over then two places further over...but then it wouldn't start at all.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-06-2012 01:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Mitch Ware

Loosen the clamp at the base of the distributor, it is directly below the intake manifold. You can reach it with a socket on the end of an extension going straight down behind the front carb. This will allow you to rotate the distributor. Rotating the distributor away from you will retard the timing, towards you will advance it.

Mitch

Posted: 05-06-2012 01:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
jarnol123

Thanks Mitch. ..i already have turned it fully away from me and it's still way too advanced....do i have to take the distributor out and turn it so that i can retard the timing?

Posted: 05-06-2012 02:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

turn the crank shaft by hand till you line up with TDC, make sure the cams align and the #! piston is at the top. next take the dizzy cap off and line up the rotor so it is pointing to the #1 wire by as Mitch say's loosening the clamp, be careful here because the dizzy can slide out and become disengaged and you would have to push it back in till the keys line back up. If the dizzy hits the block then move your wires over one place and line up on the #1 again.

Clear as mud right???

Brett

Posted: 05-06-2012 02:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
jarnol123

Ok will report back later

Posted: 05-06-2012 03:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
jarnol123

Ok well i got the #1 spark plug lined up..it started up fairly easily..still smokes a bit. I put the timing light on it and it seems to be way advanced, ie > 50. I mean I have it running, it's a little rough...is it my timing light? it's just a basic one with no adjustments

Posted: 05-07-2012 01:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

try turning the dizzy untill the engine starts to sound good and you get proper throttle responce, then see what the light tell's you. It's more important that the engine finds it's sweet spot in my opinion than setting an old engine to new factory spec's.

Brett

Posted: 05-07-2012 05:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
James Sohl

‘Sounds as though the centrifugal advance weights in the distributor are swinging out, advancing the spark, as they are supposed to.  Initial timing should be set at a very low idle speed, not something 907’s do very well.  Better to remove all spark plugs, unplug the fuel pump, connect you timing light to the number one plug, and ‘run’ the starter motor with the ignition ‘on.’  Easy to do with two people, however, if you are knowledgeable of the starter circuit, the ignition can be left on while a push-button, temporary ‘starter’ switch can be connected from plus on the battery to the solenoid.  Remember, there will be sparks from each plug wire if they are close enough to a ground, so be careful to keep the plug wires away from the carbs and any other source of fuel.  At cranking speed with the plugs out, you should be able to set timing at the crank at a speed far below the advance weights.  It should not matter whether the vacuum ‘capsule’ is connected or not, its function is to retard spark on over-run, ther very high manifold vacuum when decelerating while driving at speed, an emissions thing.  My two cents.  Others on the board may wish to comment on their favorite method of setting initial timing. 

Posted: 05-09-2012 01:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Use a test light. Google up the procedure with points or Pertronix.

Current time is 03:32 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Ignition > Timing Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems