Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > JH Race Car Coming Together

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
JH Race Car Coming Together  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-13-2005 02:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Ron Earp

Well, over the last 10 days or so Jeff Young and I have done a lot to the JH and it is actually looking like a race car! We got the engine in the car and, although there are a lot of details to attend to, Jeff commented that if we HAD to race it this Saturday we could race it - it'd be ugly with a lot of stuff undone, but it could drive.

Here are a few pics of the engine and the workers, and a couple of the engine in the car. Jeff is in yellow, I'm in blue with a PBR. I sure hope she'll run okay; there is still a lot to do - make the engine harness, driveshaft, brake setup, fuel tank in etc. but it is getting down to the last 50 hours or so!

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-13-2005 07:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Mitch Ware

It looks fantastic Ron, but tell me how do you plan on getting the steering to go through those wrapped headers?

Mitch Ware
1974 JH-5 #111119670
1971 TR-6 #CC66950LO

Posted: 06-13-2005 07:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Ron Earp

It went through with about the same difficulty as normal - which is to say a huge pain in the butt.  But, it is on, steers just fine - there is a gap there on the 4 into 1 header, and the wrap only took about 1/8" clearance out of the gap, so there is enough room.

We found that the best way to thread the shaft from the column, through the header, and into the rack is to remove the steering column completely. Then, pull the short shaft out of the end of the column, attach to the upper knunckle to the short shaft, then put the column back on. If you take off the plastic shield on the lower part of the column it makes life easy for getting the two pieces inside the shaft mated together. At any rate, it is on and it is easy for me to remove the column etc. since all that stuff under the dash on my car is gone.

That was the hardest part of the entire engine/tranny install. Engine and tranny went in with about 45 mintues work, the steering shaft took 3 hours.

R

Posted: 06-15-2005 04:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
SportsRodder

Looks great! Keep the reports coming!

Posted: 06-15-2005 10:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Brian Kelly

Ron, I love what you've done thus far but I've got to say that I am really disappointed in your choice of beer!
Keep it up,
Brian

Posted: 06-17-2005 02:40 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Paul Koehler

Looks great Ron. Just wondering about the placement of the oil fill on the front of the intake side cam cover. Does it really matter? Even to SCCA originality people?

Posted: 06-17-2005 02:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Ron Earp

Well, most times it is much better than that, with John Courage, and Heffeweissens being my favorites, but, we had a recent party where lots of stuff was left and PBR was it. That being said it ain't so bad!

The SCCA isn't into originality, they are into racing.  So, little things like that do not matter for SCCA events - even National Vintage Events are not going to have a problem with a cover being reversed.  On the race car most things such as that are dispensed with for performance, safety, or ease of maintenence and rules that address little things that small do not exist.  I suppose if a JH ever graced Pebble Beach then it would be a problem, but I don't see that happening anytime soon! 

For IT racing, basically it is free suspension, exhaust, cage, wheels, tires etc.  The cams have to be stock, as does the induction, but you can port match and use any gear ratios you please, as well as update/backdate to eariler models - so I use a 5 speed although my car was a 4 speed.  So, the expensive stuff like engines do not get too out of hand with crazy modifications, but it is still very pricey and this will not be a cheap car once it is said and done. 

R

Current time is 02:53 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > JH Race Car Coming Together Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems