Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
lockheed rear brake work  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 04-13-2012 08:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
sjensen24

I need to replace the wheel cylinders and shoes.  Any advice on the process?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 04-13-2012 09:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
JodyKerr

A brake spring tool is very handy to have, be very careful removing the rather thin drums.

Otherwise it's a straightforward process.

I also recommend using Permatex Brake Lube during reassembly.

Also, if you're interested it might be a good time to consider switching over to DOT5 brake fluid. Doesn't absorb water and won't harm paint.

Posted: 04-14-2012 12:50 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Ricardo_Julio

DOT5 as you say will not mix with moisture and THERE is where the problem lies.
 As the water  (Moisture) in the system separates from the brake fluid it will go to the bottom, settling in the calipers or wheel cylinders, when you have to apply the brakes hard, the moisture will heat up, turn into vapor and your brakes will begging to fade, the harder you apply the brakes, the more they will fade.
 In a race application or where the fluid is changed regularly there will be no problem because very little or no moisture will be present in the brake system, but for the rest of us DOT 4 is more than enough and if you can find DOT 4 Synthetic, better for you.

Posted: 04-14-2012 12:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
JodyKerr

As long as you correctly clean the system out before putting DOT5 in then you're fine. There is no water in the lines, etc.

I've been converting all my cars when they get their brakes gone through. That's 5 cars now that get regularly driven and no problems.

Posted: 04-14-2012 01:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Ricardo_Julio

As you said it, as long as you get no moisture in the system.
 We were working in STS vans transporting the elderly and the infirm and we used DOT5 but since the previous mechanics did not flush the system before, there was moisture in the brake lines, we had nothing but trouble in the more than one hundred STS vans that the Miami-Dade County had, we went back to DOT4 and all is ok til now.
 I have a Volkswagen super beetle 71' which is one of my toys and the brake system is filled with DOT5, all the fluids are synthetic and get changed every year along with the brake fluid, never had a problem, but humans, been the way we are......

BTW, make sure you clarify WHERE in the brake system is the Permatex Brake Lube is to be used, because humans, been the way we are......

Posted: 04-14-2012 01:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
JodyKerr

The lube is for the rubber bits on the wheel cylinder during reassembly.

Posted: 04-14-2012 01:40 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Ricardo_Julio

I have been using EIS Stock#AF100 Hydraulic Brake Cylinder and Caliper Assembly Fluid for about 25 years now with great results: I guess one is just as good as the other, just a matter of taste.

Posted: 04-14-2012 01:54 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
JodyKerr

That's good too.

Many people were never taught to use the stuff when assembling brakes. That was my main reason for pointing out the Permatex as it's available at most local FLAPs.

Posted: 04-14-2012 01:59 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Ricardo_Julio

assembling it with petroleum based products like engine assembly lube, lubriplate white grease, red grease, etc have made many owners come to me with leaking and other problems.
 the use of BRAKE CALIPER AND WHEEL CYLINDER assembly lube  (Of any reputable brand)  will go a long way to ensure a quality, long lasting job, and it should be the ONLY product to use in the rubber bits of any brake system.

Posted: 04-14-2012 09:13 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Mason Jones

You may already know this but the Lockheed and Girling systems use different shoes that are not interchangeable.

Posted: 04-14-2012 01:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Do one side at a time that way if you can't remember how a spring was attached you can look at the other side, assuming the PO did them correctly last time.

Brett

Current time is 10:03 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Brakes > lockheed rear brake work Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems