Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Fender bender  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 03-25-2012 08:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Mason Jones

Apparently there are down sides to being so low to the ground. I was at a stoplight and a giant cement mixer in the lane next to me came into my lane. Problem is he didn’t see me and basically pushed the little JH out of the way. I’m amazed the damage isn’t worse. 

My JH does battle with a cement mixer, a testament to 70's british steel!

So, the engine transplant is on hold until I talk to the construction co.'s insurance and figure out if the car is totaled or what. Anyone have any tips for dealing with insurance claims on classic cars?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 03-25-2012 08:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Art DeKneef

I think it depends on the insurance company and what they feel the car is worth and what it will take to repair it.

It's hard to tell from the pictures but so far it looks like you need a rear fender and a trunk lid. The rear fascia by the tail lights needs to be replaced as it looks like it got crushed with the fender. How does the metal look that runs down the side of the car in this area? Is it dented any?

Hopefully the impact wasn't too hard to cause any tweaks to the frame and throw it out of alignment.

I can image what you're feeling after having the car damaged.

Art

Posted: 03-25-2012 10:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
jcdean

I have an "agreed upon" value policy on the JH right now of $7000.00. That is what I get if it is all on me.

Now, being assaulted by a mad man in a out of control cement truck which has caused serious psychological damage to me and who knows what kind of damage to my one-of-a-kind classic British sports car, well now. That might be worth a tad bit more! :)

Posted: 03-25-2012 11:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Mason Jones

There was no big impact, I was stopped and he was creeping over very slowly. The car was pushed sideways though so no telling about the frame till I have it looked at. I drove the car home and didn't notice anything obvious.

Not sure if you can see it here but the side panel and the floor inside the trunk are bent.

So, I'm looking at minimum left rear fender and inner panel, rear valence, trunk floor and trunk lid. Taking the NADA value and adjusting for the condition of the paint and dents that were already there before the wreck gives a value around $3000 which is much more than I paid for the car.

But then the NADA values seemed much higher for Jensen-Healeys than what I've seen them sell for.

Last edited on 03-25-2012 11:56 pm by Mason Jones

Posted: 03-27-2012 01:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Mitch Ware

As a body shop manager, I have dealt with Hagerty for classic car claims. They are VERY easy to work with. Also I have dealt with trucking company insurance companies and they deserve to burn in hell. If you have Hagerty I would just go with them. Take your car to a body shop that you trust and get an estimate for the repairs, turn the claim in to your insurance co and let them go after the truck's insurance company for reimbursement. You may have to do a little ground work and locate parts for the body shop to put on the estimate. Looking at the pictures, I would guess $2500-$3500 for repairs.

Mitch Ware

Posted: 03-27-2012 06:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Mason Jones

Mitch Ware wrote: Looking at the pictures, I would guess $2500-$3500 for repairs.
Mitch, is that estimate including paint? The current condition of the paint is poor so they will probably subtract from the value of the car for that (if it's totaled). I can contact Delta to get the cost of the body panels.

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to get Hagerty’s because they require each driver to have a primary car that’s not the classic to make sure the insured car isn’t driven regularly. We only have one other car. Because I only have liability my insurance company said I need to go after the at fault's insurance co.

The trucking company’s (TXI) insurance co. referred me to “Sedgewick CMS” which is a “claims management service” for big companies. A quick google search on them indicates they are more of a “claims avoidance service”. We'll see how this goes...

Posted: 03-27-2012 02:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Mitch Ware

I'm not sure what the law is there, in NY you have the right to take your car to whatever shop you choose regardless of who the other person's insurance wants you to take it to. Here in NY they CAN ask you to take it to one of their shops for an estimate. If they demand that you take it to their shop for repairs that is called "steering" and is illegal. Be as prepared as possible before you take it to the shop for the estimate. Have a list of all of the parts and prices for those parts. Don't forget to include the shipping for the parts. They should not subtract for the difference in paint, although they might try and sneak it through as "betterment." Clean up the car before you bring it in, get the trunk floor as clean as possible. Take it to a shop that you trust to get an estimate before you go to the fleet service shop.

If the car is totaled, be prepared to prove the market value of the car. Here in NY a car is totaled by law when damage reaches 75% of the value of the car. If they want to total it and take the car, check and see if you have the right to buy it back from the insurance company for the highest salvage bid.

To me the car looks very fixable, totaling it may come down to regulations.

Mitch Ware

Posted: 03-27-2012 06:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

My old SAAB got hit by a simi while it was parked. I never got a dime from their insurance. Even if you get a judgement in small claims court it may be hard to collect.

Posted: 04-28-2012 03:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Mason Jones

Quick update: they calculated the value of the car (pre-accident) at $4000 which I thought pretty fair considering I paid $1800 for it. This meant I could get a decent settlement without totaling the car and having to buy it back with a salvage title.

They paid me $2980 for the damages (basically just under 75% of the ACV). For that amount I'll need to find used body parts. I should be able to track down at least a good used fender.

The rear valence may be easier to hammer out than replace, not sure. It appears to be part of the unibody?

Posted: 04-29-2012 03:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
SpeedyMitch

Mason Jones wrote: I should be able to track down at least a good used fender.
> Pair Jensen Healey Rear Quarter Panels - $400

> http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/pts/2964951086.html

Current time is 11:12 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > Fender bender Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems