Home 

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
Bob 13902

Anyone had to deal with a aux shaft stuck pulley? I have the female allen style bolt and I've tried heat, liquid wrench, large wrecking bar, and an air impact driver. I am at the limit of torque where I am starting to deform the allen bolt so more force will strip it. Anybody have this experience and get through it? Any suggestions if I have to drill it out or cut? I am replacing the stock pulleys with green dots, so destroying the pulley is an option if that is necessary.

dwalls1

I think that, if it was installed correctly, it will have a Loctite thread locker. Some heat and an old fashioned hammer impact should do it

Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

My spare aux shaft has a frozen pulley on the end of it. Good to know I'm not the only one! I was going to freeze the whole thing and then take a torch to the pulley.

Kurt

Bob 13902

Well, I left it out in the convenient 5F temp we enjoyed this morning, then blasted it with a torch and slammed it with an impact driver. Not a budge...and we're at the stripped point now. Guess the machine shop is my next visit.

dwalls1

I have access to an air die grinder that would be my next option. If you don't, then a Dremmel tool and patience might save removing it from the block to take to the shop.

Bob 13902

Problem solved. The solution was simple once I grabbed a beer and stared at it one last time. I've attached a photo as my setup is not the same as what is shown in the Delta schematic...I have a beveled head bolt going into the large washer (which I did not initially recognize as a washer that I could crank on) rather than a standard hex bolt. I put a pipe wrench on the washer and with some added persuasion (sledge), it loosened right up.

Attachment: auxpulley.jpg (Downloaded 62 times)

Art DeKneef

Once again proving that stopping and having a beer (or your favorite beverage) is a good thing when pondering why things are not working as they should.

Glad you were able to get it off without damaging anything else.

Art

Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

I agree Art! Maybe this should be service bulletin 12-1!

Kurt

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems