Moderated by: Greg Fletcher Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
New member from Ontario  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 12-05-2011 04:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
Frank Schwartz

Well, the "Rheostat" is not a rheostat at all. It is a printed circuity board with numerous fingers or wipers that always goes bad. If you ever take one apart, you will see why the man who invented must have gone went stark raving mad.  If you can find in a junkyard a Jaguar XJ or XJS series from the 80's or parhaps early 90's you will find a true rheostat for their dimmer and if you can get it out of there, it is a direct drop in for the JH. The knob comes off just like the one in the JH and you can use the Jag knob or your origianl knob.  I do a small modification on mine and I think I wrote it up somewhere...but it works great, especially if you are using the bright lamps from Delta.  Jaguar gets 273 US dollars for one...which s an outrage for a $5 unit and the junk yards usually get a couple of dollars for one...Glad I don't own a Jag..I'm not wealthyenough to be able to buy parts as needed!!!

If you want to read what I wrote about the Jag rheostat contact me off this group.

I also had an article on the bright bulbs printed a few years ago in the UK Jensen owners Club publication.  I can send you a copy of the article off this group as well if you are interested.

On the OP light...inasmuch as the gauges are impossible to see at night anyway with he original bulbs, the OP green light was, I am sure, installed so you could at least see that gauge.  But....green lighting is hard to see at night. Find a red one from a junked MG and it works much, much better.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 12-05-2011 05:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
Mason Jones

The Lucas designers, always planning ahead for failure, provided a pair of connected terminals on each side of the dimmer. So when your dimmer fails you can simply move one of the wires over to the other side and plug it in next to the other one. They will then be connected together. Handy.

As dim as the original bulbs are I can't imagine when you would ever want to dim them anyway!

Posted: 12-05-2011 06:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
Scottm5407

Interesting ! I for one would very much like to read the article on the brighter bulbs if possible.

Thanks

Scott

Posted: 12-05-2011 07:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
Frank Schwartz

Fine. I would be  happy to send you the entire article, but it is too long to put on this group postings.  You would need to send me your email address and I will email it to you...and it will take two emails to send it all..ok?  mfsjr2@comcast.net

Frank Schwartz

Posted: 12-05-2011 07:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
JodyKerr

Hey Frank,

If you have longer material that won't fit on the forums you know I'm always happy to host the info on my web site.

Jody

Posted: 12-05-2011 07:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
Scottm5407

No problem, I'll send it over right now.

Thanks!

Posted: 12-05-2011 07:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
Frank Schwartz

Jody:  I will send yu the copy as well...it is long as printed in the Jensen Owners Club magazine....but I need your email, as I do not have it on file...mfsjr2@comcast.net

Posted: 12-05-2011 08:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
NickJ

Can you include me as well Frank? Would love to read the articles.....email sent. Appreciate all the great info guys!

Thanks for the compliments on my car Scott, she's in good shape but she definitely has gremlins. Afraid a nice paint job is in the works.

Posted: 12-05-2011 08:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
Frank Schwartz

I will need your email address...I write rather long treatises (often referred to as b.s.) and I do not want to load up this email group.

Frank   at mfsjr2@comcast.net

Posted: 12-06-2011 04:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
LambandAndy

Scottm5407 wrote: On both of the assemblies that I have, there is a pilot light with a blue lense at around the 2 o'clock position in front of the oil pressure guage .  Why is it there ??

I can't remember where, but I read that the extra light on the oil pressure gauge was to satisfy a US import requirement that the hazard light switch was illuminated.  Sounds crazy enough to be true.

Andy

Posted: 12-06-2011 06:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
Frank Schwartz

It is there to illuminate your oil pressure gague as the pilot lamps are so dim you cannot read them at night..so they put a lamp in there...find one iwth a red lens ..it works much better.   And contact Delta for bright bulbs for your gauges

Posted: 12-06-2011 06:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
Scottm5407

Interesting....thanks Andy

Current time is 01:20 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > New member from Ontario Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems